Questions of picking and feeding out steer/cow for processin

Help Support CattleToday:

chadreed88

Reaction score
I have never had my own cattle processed but do to the rising meat prices I'm thinking about doing it for the first time. Have a few questions about it so if you can help me out either send a message or reply on this topic page.
1. What is better a steer or a cow?
2. What is the best breed of cattle to process?
3. How old should they be when processed?
4. How long should they be fed out before being processed?
5. What is the best feed to feed to get them to fill out quickly?

If there is anything else you would like to add about this please do. Thanks for your help

1. steer
2. there are good cattle in every breed. Believe it or not Jerseys are supposed to have some of the best meat
3. 12-15 months, depends on breed, frame size, nutrition etc.
4. on grain? I'd say a minimum of 3 months
5. corn

1. steer
2. angus is my favorite
3. 18 months - max
4. 2 months sweet feed
5. Always heard crushed corn

Keep them with clean water

1. Steer
2. Angus (moderate frame)
3. Usually steers finish about 100# heavier than their dam, but correct finish needs a visual appraisal. Most feeders are shooting for a low choice quality grade and a YG of 2, but since you are finishing this animal for yourself I would feed for Low Prime YG 3.
3 months feeding time as sugested above would be sufficient for a low choice YG 2 steer but for Prime and YG 3 you are looking at more time probably around the 150 day mark. I would put a moderate framed angus steer in the feedyard at about 850 lbs with typical finishing weight for Low Prime at 1200+ lbs. Feed rations vary but you must start your steer slowly on feed until he reaches maximum feed intake, which may take 2 weeks.
4. The feed ration should include a roughage to the tune of about 20% of the complete ration. I would feed an 11 to 12 % ration. I would weigh my steers every 30 days to adjust the feed accordingly.
Other things to consider:
a. Buy your potential feeder steer from a reputable breeder or commercial operation and not from the stockyard for best results.
b. Pick a calm steer
c. At least 2 steers work better than 1
d. Buy healthy animals to begin with and worm them before going into a feeding program.
e. Any steer that is handled, roughly, within 24 - 48 hours of slaughter may be a dark cutter, so avoid a foolish calf and keep all your foolish friends away from him too. For best results load and haul your steers on the same day of slaughter.
f. Normally you can expect 6 lbs of feed per lb of gain and most good angus steers will gain in excess of 3.0 lbs per day.
g. Remember that your processor should hang your carcass for at least 14 days to help in the tenderization process of your meat. A steer with a Quality Grade of Low Prime and Yeild Grade of 3 will be awesome.
h. Good Luck and send me a steak.........

Simangus

Latest posts