questions for a 2bit operation

Help Support CattleToday:

macabhaird

Reaction score
I have 3 angus mix steers (about 500+ lbs) on 13 1/2 acres (central calif foothills) that grows nice grass about 6 months out of the year. Right now they can't make a dent in it, but I know that will change in late may. Irrigation is not practical, because most of it is mountainous. To keep them through the summer (six months) I am planning to bring in alfalfa hay; I have read that they will eat 30-40 lbs a day each - is that about right? Bales weigh 120-125 lbs ... so that is a bale a day X 180 days (six months) = 180 bales...

also, I have read that they will gain 1 1/2 lb per day... that means, if my goal is 1200 lbs, they need to gain 700 lbs, so at 1.5 lbs a day it will take 466 days from the time I bought them, which means they will weigh 1200 lbs some time in June of 2010. I am intending to finish them with grass, not grain.

are my figures close, or no cigar?

thanx

I would give them corn with the alfalfa. Calves will utilize all that protein much better.

macabhaird":2p1bdakz said:
Right now they can't make a dent in it, but I know that will change in late may.

Save what they cannot eat "for a rainy day" so to speak. Find someone local to bale that on the halves. Consider fencing out part of the acreage for hay. This will keep you from making hay purchases.

Don't buy anything you absolutely don't have to.

3 steers at 550lbs fed at 1.5% bw is 30lbs of feed a day or every other day till the grass gets real short.an 60lbs of alalfa hay a day 1/2 bale.

backhoeboogie":3gux5fq2 said:
macabhaird":3gux5fq2 said:
Right now they can't make a dent in it, but I know that will change in late may.

Save what they cannot eat "for a rainy day" so to speak. Find someone local to bale that on the halves. Consider fencing out part of the acreage for hay. This will keep you from making hay purchases.

Don't buy anything you absolutely don't have to.

He said the property is too mountainous for irrigation. That "probably" means baling it is also out. In better days, he could graze in the hills in the cool season and graze the bottom country in the summer. Probably not any leasable bottomland close by in California these days though. Times change though and usually not for the better.

thanks all for input. no way can I bale any of it, too mountainous... great for rattlesnakes and coyote lairs though. lots of granite rocks.

parts of it could be sprinkler irrigated, but I am thinking that the cost of running the pump wouldn't be worth it.

I found a source today for sudan grass, it's a lot cheaper than alfalfa. I may look at a mixture of the two, that would lower my cost.

again thanks

macabhaird":17ldmn1s said:
thanks all for input. no way can I bale any of it, too mountainous... great for rattlesnakes and coyote lairs though. lots of granite rocks.

parts of it could be sprinkler irrigated, but I am thinking that the cost of running the pump wouldn't be worth it.

I found a source today for sudan grass, it's a lot cheaper than alfalfa. I may look at a mixture of the two, that would lower my cost.

again thanks

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetext/IN ... a9911.html

Are you guessing on the 120 lb weight of the bales of hay. That sure is a heavy bale. Every one's hay is heavy until you weigh it. Especially when it is for sale.

the 3 wire tied alalfa bales will weigh from 100 to 120lbs or more.because they can sell them for $12 or $15 a bale or more.thus selling a ton of hay for $240 a ton or more.

sounds like you are going to go broke with that plan.

no, not amador county, I am in tulare county off of hwy 198.

that's why I am asking, I don't want to go broke!!!

bigbull338":xuk54rkz said:
the 3 wire tied alalfa bales will weigh from 100 to 120lbs or more.because they can sell them for $12 or $15 a bale or more.thus selling a ton of hay for $240 a ton or more.

i have been quoted $165.00 a ton, 16 bails to the ton, so that's 125 lbs. and that is weighed, not estimated.

plus, it looks like the price is going to drop from there in another 30 days.

now i know why you can get hay that cheap your in tulare county.that is a big dairy county in your state as well as a few other areas.then if you can afford it it id get a load of that hay for $3960.an i hope thats delivered.1 load would last you a year or more feeding 15lbs a hd a day plus grain.

bigbull338":38ix80vp said:
now i know why you can get hay that cheap your in tulare county.that is a big dairy county in your state as well as a few other areas.then if you can afford it it id get a load of that hay for $3960.an i hope thats delivered.1 load would last you a year or more feeding 15lbs a hd a day plus grain.

yup, and kings, kern, fresno county too. more cows than people!

macabhaird":3caui3bn said:
bigbull338":3caui3bn said:

yup, and kings, kern, fresno county too. more cows than people!

You left out Inyo

Latest posts