Questions about feed rations?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
The last several years, I have feed rations like 1/3 cracked corn, 1/3 soy hull pellets, and 1/3 corn gluten pellets, or 1/2 corn gluten and 1/2 soy hulls, depending on what the feed company was getting. Now for 3-4 years the ration is similar but the percentage of corn gluten is higher, and dried distillers grain has been added to the mix. I am not trying to sound like some of the folks that used to holler about certain things all the time,just merely asking if this combination sounds ok for feeding breeding heifers and cows and calves through the winter? I have heard a lot of folks talk negatively about "hot feed" and cattle's feet, and admittedly I don't know what that feed is if its what I'm feeding or not. Also last year our cows calving got out of whack with several calving in June and July, the bulls checked ok and cows were in good shape. I have just left the bulls in year round since and this year the cows have done similar about half are calved now and the rest are going to be late. I have been feeding a Chelated mineral for 3 years year round until now I had went with an IGR, but will go back to chelated.

Ky hills":3nqif93x said:
The last several years, I have feed rations like 1/3 cracked corn, 1/3 soy hull pellets, and 1/3 corn gluten pellets, or 1/2 corn gluten and 1/2 soy hulls, depending on what the feed company was getting. Now for 3-4 years the ration is similar but the percentage of corn gluten is higher, and dried distillers grain has been added to the mix. I am not trying to sound like some of the folks that used to holler about certain things all the time,just merely asking if this combination sounds ok for feeding breeding heifers and cows and calves through the winter? I have heard a lot of folks talk negatively about "hot feed" and cattle's feet, and admittedly I don't know what that feed is if its what I'm feeding or not. Also last year our cows calving got out of whack with several calving in June and July, the bulls checked ok and cows were in good shape. I have just left the bulls in year round since and this year the cows have done similar about half are calved now and the rest are going to be late. I have been feeding a Chelated mineral for 3 years year round until now I had went with an IGR, but will go back to chelated.
You didn't mention whether the corn content was the same in the new mix as in the old but assuming it is, the new feed should be just as good if not better. Did they remove all the soyhull pellets?? Sure would be nice to have some in the mix though. Just make sure the cattle get plenty of roughage from grazing or hay.

TexasBred":2ues7exn said:
Ky hills":2ues7exn said:
You didn't mention whether the corn content was the same in the new mix as in the old but assuming it is, the new feed should be just as good if not better. Did they remove all the soyhull pellets?? Sure would be nice to have some in the mix though. Just make sure the cattle get plenty of roughage from grazing or hay.

Thanks Texasbred, It has been a while since I saw a breakdown of the feed to know exactly but the amount of corn was lowered, there are still soy hull pellets in it just less. Cattle seem to do well on it, and several folks feed it around here.

Ky hills":2yklbzcd said:
TexasBred":2yklbzcd said:
Ky hills":2yklbzcd said:

Thanks Texasbred, It has been a while since I saw a breakdown of the feed to know exactly but the amount of corn was lowered, there are still soy hull pellets in it just less. Cattle seem to do well on it, and several folks feed it around here.
Should do you a good job and fewer problems with the digestive system. ;-)

Latest posts