questions about a sale

Help Support CattleToday:

daniel.carver

Reaction score
I went to Obrien's 32 Annual Bull sale today (3/1/09), the bulls were Limousin. I'm trying to research the addreviations w/out much luck. Can any body tell me what these are. the add give a description of the bulls great grand parents, grand parents, and parents. at the bottom there is this.

|BW|WW|YW|REA|FAT|MARB|BW|WW|YW|MA|CEM|SC|
|73|740 |1065|15.71|.13|1.56|-.1 |41 |79 |23 | 4 | -.01|

What I know-
BW= birth weight
fat=fat
MARB= Marble

And thats it. an anybody help me w/this. Thanks Dan

daniel.carver":2ey426wk said:

The bull's Birth Weight, Weaning Weight, Yearling Weight Rib Eye Area, Fat and Marbling.

Then the bull's EPD's (expeted progeny differential) Birth weight, weaning weight, yearling weight,calving ease maternal and scrotal circumference.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":1vsw70ly said:
daniel.carver":1vsw70ly said:

The bull's Birth Weight, Weaning Weight, Yearling Weight Rib Eye Area, Fat and Marbling.

Then the bull's EPD's (expeted progeny differential) Birth weight, weaning weight, yearling weight,calving ease maternal and scrotal circumference.

Katherine

You forgot MA, which I believe stands for milking ability.

Thanks for your replies. I just thought you might wat to know that this was the first bull sold and it auctioned off for $3,900.00. According to the info i posted, was this bull worth that?
Thanks Dan

His bw is low and has a high milk epd but I'm not too impressed with his ww and yw. I would think you could do alot better for $3,900.

OK, another question. You said that you were not too impressed w/his ww & yw. So are you refering to his weaning weight & yearling weight? the reason I ask this is because BW|WW|YW| are listed twice. First is 73BW,625WW, 1065YW. Then on down it repeats w/ BW-.1|WW41|YW79|--WHAT DO THESE REPRESENT?

Thanks Dan

The first is his actual BW at 73lb,ww at 625lb and yw at 1065lb. The second is what his calves are expected to do compared to breed average.

Also breed average is not 0. Can someone post breed average for Limousin? Also each breed is different with the EPD's so it is a little hard to compare between breeds without a chart that shows the diference.

Kenny,
At this sale today, They had a black baldy, his whole face was white. they were saying this was an influenced limousin, they also stated that it was a prebred. What the heck? I know limmys are black and red, not white face. This one sold for $2500.00. And this is what is listed BW 70|WW 662|BW .5|WW31|YW71|MA73|CEM4|SC.2|--What do you think about this. Dan

Limmy infuence means it is only part limo. probably from a registered parent of another breed that has white face. Someone else may have a better answer?

Latest posts