Question

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus1

Reaction score
I have two calves that have scours . They suck and are alert and look fairly good otherwise . Should they be treated or will it run its course naturally ?. They are two wks old

I tend to want to do something if it's the consistency of milkshake or thinner. Pudding-like, I tend to just watch them a bit. Idk if this helps you any.

Bobby, I have forgotten where you are located but in my area we have been seeing a lot of scares. The snow, wet, rain, mud, cold just has them ran down. I had one earlier in the week with scares and gave it a shot of excede. I have had good luck with Micotil also. But others on here know much better what to use. But be agressive and dont let them get weak. The one I gave a shot on Tueday was running and playing today.

I've only had a few cases of it. Two of them were resolved with one bolus provided to me by my vet. One-shot bolus, but I don't know what it consists of. I can look to see if it says on the jar tomorrow.

The other calf had a tougher case of them and it took the one-shot bolus along with a probiotic bolus for three days straight.

The top two mentioned, I also gave some electrolytes to as well, as I cut their milk concentration/amount back some. (bottle feeding at the time)

Excede is something I guess I need to get too , Im in SC , I'm stocked up on nuflor and dex . Nuflor is some good stuff , had them looking next to dead one day running jumping next

kenny thomas":16icx7f2 said:
Bobby, I have forgotten where you are located but in my area we have been seeing a lot of scares. The snow, wet, rain, mud, cold just has them ran down. I had one earlier in the week with scares and gave it a shot of excede. I have had good luck with Micotil also. But others on here know much better what to use. But be agressive and dont let them get weak. The one I gave a shot on Tueday was running and playing today.

DON'T FORGET THAT IF YOU PRICK YOUR FINGER WITH A SYRINGE FULL OF MICOTIL YOU WILL BE DEAD, DEAD, DEAD.

I would get a bottle of excenel rather than excede. Excenel has to be given daily, which annoys many beef producers, but results in much higher tissue levels of the active compound. Micotil is designed for the respiratory system, it is not a good go to drug for scours.

Quigly":1v6ssp1c said:
I would get a bottle of excenel rather than excede. Excenel has to be given daily, which annoys many beef producers, but results in much higher tissue levels of the active compound. Micotil is designed for the respiratory system, it is not a good go to drug for scours.

Micotil is also the very best cure for white blood cells in semen on bulls who have been riding each other in feedlot conditions. However like I said it can be very dangerous to use.

Latest posts