Question????

Help Support CattleToday:

HandB

Reaction score
Here is something I see all the time in the Western Livestock Journal. Cows for sale described as "broken mouth". Never heard that terminology in California before, what does it mean along with the other ".....mouth" adjectives out there.

thanks, so basically "broken mouth" is somethin to stay away from when looking to buy

not necessarily, if the price is right ( around $500 or less) if they are bred, calving them out and letting them raise that calf, selling her and the calf in the fall isn't all wrong... lots of guys do that kind of thing

The first cows I bought three years ago were broken mouth cows. The youngest was a 7 year old broken, on up to a 10. Still have most of them. Sorted for bad bags, and bad attitudes, etc, and lose a few opens each year. If they have good body condition, and aren't smooth mouth, I'd say nothing wrong with it if the price is fair.

Broken mouth is a good way to age animals. SOMETIMES. I had a 4 year old that had access to mineral and good feed and still lost her teeth. Turns out I saw her chewing on rocks in the back of the pasture. I also have seen 12 year old cows go long solid in sales befor. To me it is a hit and miss deal.

Scotty

Latest posts