question

Help Support CattleToday:

sporder

Reaction score
what are peoples thoughts on putting the bull in with two 13 month old heifers. i dont mean on their own but with the older cows as well. i have 5 older cows 2 13 month heifers and this years calves. i have limited grazing so my option at the moment is put the bull in with them all and hope he leaves the heifers and goes for the older cows or take the heifers out till they are 15 months. bull has been in for a while and keen to get him out. is it to much of a risk to leave heifers in with him

If the heifers are cycling you can bet he'll address the pregnancy issue in short order. If you don;t want the heifers bred, keep them away from the bull!

It amazes me that people have cows and they need to ask this question :shock: You are not the first to ask something like this.
A bull will breed a 3 month old heifer if she cycles. Do you think he will worry about staturatory rape?? He will breed anything that stands still (so to speak).
If your heifers are extremely stunted/small, they may not be cycling. But, they might or they might be tomorrow. Sounds like he is with them now - soooo - they may already be bred, that's why they're not cycling.
If you don't want them bred, I would pull them out, wait 7 days, then give them a Lutalyse shot (must get from a vet).

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2u6wyg9u said:
It amazes me that people have cows and they need to ask this question :shock: You are not the first to ask something like this.
A bull will breed a 3 month old heifer if she cycles. Do you think he will worry about staturatory rape?? He will breed anything that stands still (so to speak).
If your heifers are extremely stunted/small, they may not be cycling. But, they might or they might be tomorrow. Sounds like he is with them now - soooo - they may already be bred, that's why they're not cycling.
If you don't want them bred, I would pull them out, wait 7 days, then give them a Lutalyse shot (must get from a vet).

Good post Jeanne except for the first sentence.
I interpretted the post as the bull is isolated away from the other cattle and they want to release him with them.

The heifers will get bred, no question. We routinely breed ours at an average of 14 months. Need to keep the bulls separated by some kind of serious fence from the heifers, they will tromp down a barb wire fence to get to them once the older cows settle.

Latest posts