Question...

Help Support CattleToday:

K2011

Reaction score
I have a 5 month old heifer calf.....every day I usually go out and spend some time with the calves....but whenever I touch her head she nods and kind-a butts her head but she never comes forward to get me.....All the other calves with either let me touch them or they might just jump away and come back to investigate.....but is her nodding just a "natural reaction?" She is a nice looking heifer calf and I would like to keep her....

Kind-of a silly answer....

If you don't like her reaction, don't touch her head.

We have the same thing here. I have a couple of calves that I can touch all over their head and face, but one little heifer calf does not like me to touch the top of her head.

You can either keep touching her, hoping she will get used to it or do as Knersie suggested and stop touching her there.

WE can touch most of our cows. Some on the head and some not. Some love their tails rubbed and some don't. Some liked you to scratch under the necks and some don't. Different strokes for different folks.

I definitely don't think anything is wrong with her.

she doesnt like being touched on the head.theres nothing wrong with not liking to have her head touched.

bigbull338":2zukp4od said:
she doesnt like being touched on the head.theres nothing wrong with not liking to have her head touched.

I know that there is nothing wrong with her.....I was mainly asking if this is a natural reaction.

K2011":u4h23o1r said:
bigbull338":u4h23o1r said:

I know that there is nothing wrong with her.....I was mainly asking if this is a natural reaction.

It's cow talk for, don;t do that.

Dun's got it.. the head "nodding" is the step before getting butted.

Most cattle don't like to be touched on the head.. most love their bellies or their tail heads scratched. It may also be that you have a light touch .. it feels like a fly on their head.

TheBullLady":7ptwiiz0 said:
Dun's got it.. the head "nodding" is the step before getting butted.

Most cattle don't like to be touched on the head.. most love their bellies or their tail heads scratched. It may also be that you have a light touch .. it feels like a fly on their head.

That makes since....

my heifer doesnt particularly care for the top of her head being scratched, but she likes her "forehead" between her eyes scratched..go figure :D

Latest posts