Question

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
Ok New job has slowed way down and I am trying to figure out some things.

I have 60 acres of pasture with only a few cows (12) and only saved a couple of heifers but just started with the fall calving have 3 left to go and then wont have any more till early spring FEB. I have enough hay for twice as many cows.

Do I sell the hay or keep it and get some more commercial cows that I would have to borrow the money for. Or does anyone else have any ideas on how to make this hay and property make a little more money than it already does.

I am not bad off in debt but dont really want to be. And I dont really know where this cattle markett will finally settle or crash.

By the way I work away from home as a Chevrolet Technician and things are looking very bad not enough work and going home early. Thinking about another job closer to home where I can keep an eye on things and the cows. ( Right now I drive 46 miles one way (GEO Prism) thinking about 26 miles round trip.
JHH

P.S. I am in it for the long haul not just to make a quick buck. Even if the market goes to He!! then I will still be raising cows. The ground and equipment are paid for and will be seeding 15 more acres down in the spring.

why not just sell the extra hay, my in laws own 60 acres and sell what they dont need, plus you can pocket some extra change to pay for the winter heat! :) I take it you grow and bale the hay yourself? if that is correct sell the extra and you have fresh next year

I'd sell half of your surplus hay. Save other half just in case. Supposed to be a bad winter - according to some.

Latest posts