question

Help Support CattleToday:

watson brangus

Reaction score
I have a bull calf that is 6 months old (still on his momma about to wean) and he was mixed with some calves that we bought from center ranch that we gave all of them penicillin and kept them seperate from the rest of the herd and we thought they were ok. well we are running low on grass and had to move some cows around so we put the bull with the other cows ,well yesterday i went out to look at the cows he was no where near. i had to go find him. he was very hollow and a runny nose and the strangest thing was how he was walking!!!! he was walking straight legged and almost looked like a horse prancing we got the vet out their and he said he had pnemunia but no clue about the walking. any ideas????
thanks all

Maybe the walking was a side effect of the pneumonia, swollen joints or something. Does seem odd, has he had a blackleg vaccination?

GMN

Might have some type of illness that weakend him, then caught pneumonia.

mnmt

We need to have more details to really be able to give you any ideas as to what the cause might be such as how long ago did you administer the penicillin? Does the leg have a fever? Is it swollen? Does he bend it at all? When he stands does he keep weight on it? How many days has it been like this? Also, you might want to find a different vet if he didn't give you any ideas as to what it might be.

he has had all his vaccinations he Their is no swelling he keeps weight on it but stands w/ legs spread out i am not sure when he got it i just noticed i have been at the southeast brangus show since thursday so he could have had it for a cpl days now
i gave the other cows a shot may 30th

I agree with msscamp. It probably is a BRD associated with shipping fever. I would quarantine the calf away from the rest of the animals because it can be contagious. I would give antibiotics to the calf and watch the rest of the herd for the slightest sign, because I never like to medicate unless necessary. Watch for lack of appetite, fever, runny nose or eyes, or breathing problems in the rest of the herd. Hope he recovers ok. Have a great day!

Latest posts