Question

Help Support CattleToday:

foxfield

Reaction score
Anyone online tonight that can give me a quick run down on Bloat...signs, cause, cure?

Thanks

Run a search - look for the search tab at the top of the page.

Signs are easy. Cow that looks like she's going to float away and her sides are tight as a drum is in some serious trouble. A little bit of gas on the left side after eating isn't too much to worry about - if it starts to involve the right side then you do start worrying.

Treatment depends on when you catch them. Hose down the throat. Mineral oil down the tube. Knife in the rumen last resort.

Drench with 60cc of liquid detergent will also relieve the bloat. The soap breaks the surface tension of the foam in the rumen which is causing the bloat.

As Milkmaid stated, as a last resort you can stick with a knife on the left side behind the last rib & in front of the hip bone.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Texas PaPaw":2jm42ht6 said:
As Milkmaid stated, as a last resort you can stick with a knife on the left side behind the last rib & in front of the hip bone.

And don't wait too long. Been there done that. :( Won't hesitate again.

Had two cows at feeding that looked like they were ready to have another calf. Not ready to float away, but pretty big. Lost a cow last week for no visable reason.

Anyway, if it is bloat and my two tonight are not better in the am, thanks for the advice...but what would cause this...

you better keep an eye on them foxfield. bloat can kill them, FAST! legumes (clover!) are usually the culprit this time of year around here.

Cow I lost bloated on an alfalfa/grass mix of hay. (Lost her inside of 20 minutes from first noticing a problem, BTW.) Had one calf bloat on grass pasture. Have had some problems with cows on alfalfa hay fields.

Usually caused by legumes - I don't believe we have clover in my area but we do have alfalfa - and I've heard folks point to a lack of free choice feed as a culprit for bloat. (They gorge themselves when you put out feed, then are empty 'til next feeding, gorge themselves again, etc.) Not a problem if they're running on pasture but it is if you're feeding hay.

foxfield, you might want to think about putting out an anti-bloat block until you can get it sorted out and under control.

Latest posts