question

Help Support CattleToday:

tomlin":36szfrg7 said:
What is a purebred? What is a full-blood?
Thank you!

Well here's what I think. A fullblood is just that. No other breeds blood involved.

Purebred may have some upbreeding involved in it's back ground somewhere.

flaboy's definition is my understanding as well. I think some breeds have a specific requirement to be called purebred, like at least 5/8's. It may be different for each breed.

jerry27150":27wi6r9q said:
purebred is pure , fullblood is 15/16 th pure from breeding up

Not quite right. From a previous post... from the NALF

"Fullblood and Purebred

Currently the only classifications NALF has are:
1. Percentage - bulls less than 93% and females less that 87%. The exact percentage is printed on the certificate.
2. Purebred (87%) - this is the qualified purebred status for females only. The percentage appears on the certificate if the female is 87% or greater but less than 93%.
3. Purebred - appears on all animals that are 93% or greater Limousin. In calculating the percentage of Limousin of the offspring, all cattle in this category are considered to be 100% Limousin. The percentage does not appear on the papers.
4. Fullblood- As of May 1, 1993, Fullblood appears on all cattle that trace back to full French ancestry and have not been upgraded from domestic stock."

The breed codes on pedigrees indicate the ancestry of the animal. As an example, a purebred bull with the breed codes LLLLLLL* indicates the bull does trace back to a domestic foundation animal. An animal with fullblood ancestry always carries a breed code of LLLLLLLL."

May be slightly different from other associations.

Here in Australia just using South Devons as an example,a fullblood is an animal that has no outside influence,so the animal is traced directly back to England.
Purebred are graded up animals,unfortunately 4 crosses equates a purebred here in Australlia,in New Zealand I believe it is 5 crosses.
Truthfully there are very few proper full blood cattle in the world. Derived breeds,such as Brangus,Murray Grey,Braford,Brahman,Charbray,Brahmousin,etc cannot be classed as pure or fullblood.
As far as I can see the only Fullblood British cattle ( without US,Canadian Australian etc influence) are Hereford,Angus,Galloway,Devon and South Devon (add to the list if you wish)
The Fullblood Tropicals are Red Sindhi and Sahiwal.
Euros I'm not sure of because of their similarities to a few different types,being bred in different valleys just over the hill from one and other.
Colin

Wewild":3ghrx3oz said:
jerry27150":3ghrx3oz said:

It is slightly different with some associations..Some associations like the C.S.A upgraded their 1st purebreds to fullbloods

frenchie":1m2p6bf9 said:
Wewild":1m2p6bf9 said:
jerry27150":1m2p6bf9 said:

It is slightly different with some associations..Some associations like the C.S.A upgraded their 1st purebreds to fullbloods

How far back is that?

What is a purebred? What is a full-blood?
Thank you!

I was talking about the Charolais breed! (AICA) Thanks for all the feed back. I'm looking to purchase some Charolais embryos. Let me know what ya' have.[/quote]

Latest posts