Question,,,,,, snotty cows ???

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I am having a little dilemma, here is the story.

Today I noticed about 12 or so cows with mucus stringing from their noses, clear but really snotty none the less. Our temps have been great so far today +7, tomorrow supposed to be +10 (Celsius) no snow yet and we really haven't had any real precip. since the beginning of August. So I am kind of worried as I have already had two cases of pneumonia in this relatively nice weather, I pulled two temps from the snotty cows today and one was 101.2 and the other was 101.4 very normal and the cows were not under duress at all as I chose the well handled ones that you can scratch their butts and stick a thermometer in them..

So is this something coming on or is this perhaps from our really dry dusty conditions and allergies etc..All cows have access to shelter and bedding as well as free choice hay..

I am doing benign neglect until tomorrow, but by Wednesday we are supposed to go down to -20 so I kind of want to nip this in the bud if they are getting something..

Thanks for all replies.. :tiphat:

Snotty nose by itself isn;t anything to get all shook up about.

Thanks guys, it is coming to that time of year when the weather gets crappy and cows are going to calve in a couple of months that I tend to turn into a worrywart and control freak.. :oops:

Baxter, the cows have all been vaccinated with the works..

I think I will check a couple temps tomorrow on two other cows and see if there is anything to be concerned about, and maybe just start some aureomycin pellets in their feed for a few days,,,just in case...

Thank you for the reassurance.. :)

If the mucus is clear, it is probably because of the dust.
You worry when the mucus is cloudy, yellow or white. That indicates an infection.

I'd just keep an eye on them. Personally I do not like to use antibiotics unless absolutely necessary.

chippie":11trs6yj said:
You worry when the mucus is cloudy, yellow or white. That indicates an infection.

I'd just keep an eye on them. Personally I do not like to use antibiotics unless absolutely necessary.

While I agree with you that watching in this instance is fully warranted, I disagree that it indicates an infection. It indicates a possible infection, as I have seen many animals with a cloudy or white nasal discharge that never went any farther, and cleared up on their own in a day or so. I also agree with you on the use of antibiotics, we did not use them unless they were needed.

Why not temp. the same cows to see if there's a diff. even tho they were normal, if you think they possibly have something?

Latest posts