Question regarding game damage issue

Help Support CattleToday:

OldReliable

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently launched Doecowhunt.com, ( http://www.doecowhunt.com ) which is a free service to Montana farmers and ranchers. The website allows landowners to use the internet to screen and invite hunters to harvest female big game.

With all the talk about damage to crops and haystacks it would seem that such a service would be welcomed. My question is this: Is this something that I should continue to spend money promoting or does the need for this type of service just not really exist? Would any of the Montana members of this board be willing to register for such a service? Why or why not?

Thanks for any input,
Carl

I think you got a new idea there.
In many cases the reason ranchers have crop damage is because of the reluctance of allowing hunters on. You'll have to break that barrier.
Or ranches are leased for hunting and the lease holder determines the hunters.
How are you going to get the information out. Not going to get much response on a site like this.

Must be doing something right Carl.
I just checked the site this morning again and the number of hunting acres has gone up from last week.
Nothing in Regions 1,2, and 3 yet.

mnmt the reluctance is due to that 1% bad apples and FWP has a site, but it just lists your name and address and anybody can show up. Tried it one year and swore never again. I like this site better.

I would think that the hunters would spend money to be listed, as many of them spend mega-bucks on hunting, hunting leases, etc.

Those few bad hunters are why none of them can come onto my land. I have 1 person that gets to hunt my land, and he does it right. He also contributes a lot of free labor that is beneficial to me and him both.

Never leaves a mess, and always leaves good, dressed meat.

The ones that think they can "slip in" and hunt get a quick and painful visit from my buddy called "Game Warden".

grannysoo":2hiefezg said:
I would think that the hunters would spend money to be listed, as many of them spend mega-bucks on hunting, hunting leases, etc.

I wanted it to be affordable to everyone. You should have seen some of the abuse I took from the "I should be able to hunt state owned deer anywhere" crowd. They called me a "wildlife pimp". All that over a $5.00 fee to use the website. Wow :shock:

mnmtranching":38wjirar said:
How are you going to get the information out. Not going to get much response on a site like this.

You hit the nail on the head there. I've been advertising in the MSGA news letter for three months with only one landowner registering through that outreach. Also in the Grain Growers News. The last two were reached through an ad in the Farm Bureau Magazine in July. Trouble is these ads are ineffective pushing folks to the internet. Two outfitters have signed up, they heard of it through MOGA. Honestly I can't afford a lot of print advertising and radio is super expensive. Any suggestions?

I think you have a worthwhile service. This is a good way to weed out the bad hunters. Like the guy you mentioned. Montana usually has plentiful antlerless White Tail licenses, much of the time not enough hunters. Most of the time these permits need to be applied for by June 1st so hunters need to plan ahead. The actual game damage hunts usually come up as the damage occurs and mostly available to residents only.
I can see why you need to hold expenses. I guess hunting forums is a good way to get the word out. Some good forums and some are not so good. Most I think, will not let you advertise on the forums but will be happy to sell you a spot. MuleyMadness is a good site. I moderate there and will not allow advertising on the forums, but contact the administrator. Lots of good hunters on this site that might just be interested.

Thanks for the kind words. I think that there will be more and more folks looking to hunt for meat as this reccession continues to get worse. I am primarily working to get ranchers to give this thing a try. Montanans helping Montanans in a mutually beneficial way.

I'm not too worried about hunters coming to the site. The acres will attract the hunters, and excess tags are sold over the counter beginning in August. What is needed is ranchers willing to give this thing a try as a management tool to control their big game numbers to tolerable levels. The only way to manage wildlife numbers in Montana is to harvest them during the hunting season. The best way to manage numbers is to harvest the female segment of the population. The website is just another tool to help landowners accomplish those goals.

My goal in coming to the ranching forums was to get just this kind of feedback. I am a machininst/consultant to the solar silicon industry and who is just trying to do something creative and useful and maybe at some point this will generate enough income to send the girls to college. :nod:

Latest posts