Question-Precautions around neighbors sick calves

Help Support CattleToday:

reeler

Reaction score
Wondering what precautions are recommended when around neighbor's sick calves. Some have died due to pneumonia. Going over there today to help work hos herd & don't want to bring home any potential 'problems' to my cows. Feedback appreciated

Rubber boots and a pan to wash as sterilize before you leave his place. Bleach will be sufficient. We used a certain product I cant remember back in the day when we Had hogs and we scrubbed between pens . common sense should be used.

M-5":19hoiopj said:
Rubber boots and a pan to wash as sterilize before you leave his place. Bleach will be sufficient. We used a certain product I cant remember back in the day when we Had hogs and we scrubbed between pens . common sense should be used.
Thanks-good idea to sterilize boots BEFORE leaving, hadn't thought of that. Actually,it's frigid here today- so i'll put boots in bag before leaving & change into clean pair. Then sterilize at home. Really appreciate your input :tiphat:

Get the bulk of the crap off at his place first with the likes of hosing if you can or next best scraping. Things need to be mechanically clean first before the sterilizing process.

Ken

wbvs58":3kgge7ko said:
Get the bulk of the crap off at his place first with the likes of hosing if you can or next best scraping. Things need to be mechanically clean first before the sterilizing process.

Ken
Thank you for your advice.I was in a hurry to clean the boots, but thought of your advice & as a result, took my time & properly cleaned them. Seemingly small things can be of vast importance!

Latest posts