Question or opinion

Help Support CattleToday:

Wick

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2006
Messages
154
Reaction score
0
Location
west virginia
Have a heifer that calved 3-4 weeks ago, calf sucks all the time so probably the heifer does not milk well, but yet the calf is making it, do you think to sell now as a pair, or wait till fall and sell sub prime calf and the heifer as bred. Just curious as to your thoughts, pasture room is not an issue but not giving them special attention.
 

SRBeef

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2007
Messages
2,931
Reaction score
1
Location
SW Wisconsin
Wick":nksb7683 said:
Have a heifer that calved 3-4 weeks ago, calf sucks all the time so probably the heifer does not milk well, but yet the calf is making it, do you think to sell now as a pair, or wait till fall and sell sub prime calf and the heifer as bred. Just curious as to your thoughts, pasture room is not an issue but not giving them special attention.

Personally I think selling the pair to an unsuspecting stranger is not a good idea.

Why not just keep them both for awhile. The calf will eat more grass soon and maybe take some milk from another cow as I had happen last year. When the calf gets close to weaning time just either process the heifer for beef (before she gets much older) or sell her for slaughter. Same for the calf - sell as a feeder or raise it and process. Don't let those bad milk genes go any further.

Letting her be sold to someone as a potential breeder is not best for the breed nor your reputation. jmho.
 

randiliana

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
4,807
Reaction score
0
Location
Saskatchewan, Canada
Depends how badly the calf is doing. We have done both, sometimes sell as a pair, sometimes summer them and then sell separately. We have a nurse cow, and if we have anything that is doing badly we also have the option of dumping the cow and putting the calf on her, or on another cow that lost a calf.
 

LoveMoo11

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 20, 2008
Messages
1,090
Reaction score
0
Location
Maine
If the calf is healthy and growing moderately I'd say hold on to them, soon the calf will be able to eat other food-you could start creep feeding him to help him out. With your help he'll probably turn out alright.
 

cowman30

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 24, 2009
Messages
289
Reaction score
0
SRBeef":2550fq2d said:
Wick":2550fq2d said:
Have a heifer that calved 3-4 weeks ago, calf sucks all the time so probably the heifer does not milk well, but yet the calf is making it, do you think to sell now as a pair, or wait till fall and sell sub prime calf and the heifer as bred. Just curious as to your thoughts, pasture room is not an issue but not giving them special attention.

Personally I think selling the pair to an unsuspecting stranger is not a good idea.

Why not just keep them both for awhile. The calf will eat more grass soon and maybe take some milk from another cow as I had happen last year. When the calf gets close to weaning time just either process the heifer for beef (before she gets much older) or sell her for slaughter. Same for the calf - sell as a feeder or raise it and process. Don't let those bad milk genes go any further.

Letting her be sold to someone as a potential breeder is not best for the breed nor your reputation. jmho.


I tend to agree.
 
OP
W

Wick

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2006
Messages
154
Reaction score
0
Location
west virginia
Had a fellow call the house wanting a young charolais calf to bottle feed and sold him the calf off of the heifer and will send the heifer to market in the morning. Thanks
 

Latest posts

Top