Question on Vitamin shots

Help Support CattleToday:

Fred

Reaction score
I purchased a bottle of B-Complex vitamins from the Vet supply. It shows 1-2 ml /500 lb body wt. for adult cattle and 1-2 ml for calves.For those of you that use them, what situations do you feel it is helpful to give a shot of B-Complex vitamins? I was thinking of using it if I get a weak calf that I need to give colostrum or electolytes to. Also when do you feel it is helpful to give a dose of probios. I also bought a tube of that to keep on hand.

I use A/D and B complex when an animal gets down or is getting over a cold or something like that, usually in the winter. I think that it helps 'em pep up which usually gets 'em moving around and eating better. JMO

I give probious to calves when they are scouring along with the medicine to rid the scours. I used to give at weaning but saw no difference when I did not do it. My vet rocomends it when any animal is off feed.

I recently had a calf that was finally delivered after a long labor & had a swollen tounge from being squished in there so long. Therefore he didn't nurse & get his colostrum. After a few hours I tubed him with a package of colostrum, gave the usual Bo-Se shot & per the vet's instructions a shot of B- complex. So that's the type of situation that I would use vit B. I also gave it to the other calves as they were born last week when I gave the Bo-Se. Figured it wouldn't hurt & I already had the bottle open. All are doing great.

What is probious? and what does it do?

Also, I assume the Bo-Se is for selenium defeciency. Is that a regional concern? I've not heard of that much in the mid-west.

If it's a bottle baby, I give probios at each feeding until they are at least 2 weeks old and every single time I give any kind of antibiotic no matter how old they are. If one scours after the age of 2 weeks, which doesn't happen that often here, anyway, they get a mouthful of it when they get electrolytes and when they get their milk replacer. I keep that stuff by the boxful.

With a newborn that you have to give colostrum, or any baby that has to be bottle fed, I give a shot of A,E, &D and B complex.

It is my understanding that B complex and probios stiumlate appetite...and probios keeps their digestion and gut working more effeciently. Probios also helps restore the good bacteria in their gut that has been destroyed by antibiotics if they are being treated for an illness.

Alice

B vitamins help stimulate appetite, repair nerve damage, are necessary in cellular functions, and a whole host of other things I can't remember off hand.

So you'd use them on a down cow, an animal off feed, a sick animal; really almost any time you're treating a cow.

I only give the vitamin shots as needed. When the calf or cow is under the weather. If the calf is produceing salivea when it is nurseing then it should not need the Probios. The salivea will produce the microbes needed. If the calf is getting the milk to fast it will not produce salivea, thus the need for Probios.

Latest posts