Question on replacement heifer purchase

Help Support CattleToday:

goddy

Reaction score
Here's a question particularly for you experienced guys and gals.

When purchasing replacement heifers how much over sale barn price would you be prepared to go if you had the chance to pick 15 heifers out of a group of 100 from a proven source.

These are going to be the start of a small but hopefully long term herd.

Thanks in advance

Goddy

TNMasterBeefProducer":pywfhzl6 said:
The highest I have ever paid for a heifer and she was a show heifer was 3500. She is one of the top performers and weans an over 600 pound calf every year. Although I have a couple heifers in my herd that are insured for 5,000 dollars and the aforementioned cow I have insured for 7,000 as she is a multiple purple ribbon winner. What breed of heifers are these that you are considering getting? Think 1400-1500 would not be a bad price for some good non show heifers.

Sorry - should have been clearer. These are commercial red Angus and red baldy heifers that I intend to breed to gelbvieh if we get them.

Goddy

You can pick up high quality bred heifer here in Idaho around 850-1000. Your willing to pay 1400 to 1500 for commercial replacements I think your out of it :help:

For good solid heifers, vaccinated, wormed, etc. I've been known to pay upto 50% of market weight prices. When I sell heifers for breeding I price them froim 25% to 50% over market price.
A whole lot epends on the genetics and the history of the animals and the history of their lineage.

dun":11z1t0hm said:
For good solid heifers, vaccinated, wormed, etc. I've been known to pay upto 50% of market weight prices. When I sell heifers for breeding I price them froim 25% to 50% over market price.
A whole lot epends on the genetics and the history of the animals and the history of their lineage.

over here commercial heifers are usually 20% over market price of you handpick them after the breeder has picked his replacements

This is exactly why I wrote on another forum that the advice is for high dollar breeders. We went to sale Tue and I know the owner she aid we got the best money not suprised though from what else came in. Oh yea those replacement heifers, the most I have paid is 700. The market was way off so get good ones at good prices. Ten must have a sugar momma

Good luck

Old uncle never paid over sale barn price. He then culled and culled again. He always made money on the culls with calf at side. He retained the best of the best. He usually sold those as a herd for even more profit. Then did it all over again. I do not have his expertice and am not in the commercial business but I beleive I would go with the max of 20% over for high quality replacements as anything over would be tough to pencil out.

Going to the sale barn is a pain and makes the livestock lose a lot of weight from the stress of rounding them up. puttig on truck, the truck ride and the time in the pens then of course the ring tome. I had weighed a spring bull since I was trying to decide to keep (he was super just went through fence 7 times a day. He lost about 36 pounds from start to the sale barn scale.That was about a 36 dollar loss. The famer should know he is going to lose mony at the sales by weight drop and the prices this week are terrible here. Never seen so many skinny calves.All the cows went to the kill pens even though we had a couple that were bred back.

Offer him 15% less than sale barn. If he goes to sale he will lose stress pounds, will have to pay for transport,pay barn fees, and don'y want to forget the $1 checkoff expense.

I just bought a cow bred and a spring heifer 625 pounds all for 875. They are great animals..

Just remember there is a lot of expense to take things to the sales as well as the work and pain in the butt so most reasonable people would rater sell local than sale barn.

Good luck no more than 15% below sale barns

dun":o6vr09sr said:

Thanks a lot Dun - that sounds like good solid advice.

Goddy

To get your pick, 15 out of 100, I believe 20% over market would be about right for commercial heifers.

Don't listen to these people tlling you to py higher than sle barn. I wonder if they offer 20% over sticker price wwhen they buy a car. I just went to market and if someone would have offered me 20% less for any of them except 1 bull I would be spending that $$$$$ right now. I got guy 2 miles down road haas nice herd and he is going to market Sat he called me last night to see if I wanted to take them for good price......IT SUCKS TO GO TO MARKET AND COST A BUNCH!!

Good luck and don't buy any islands or bridges.

turning grass into beef":3atywhj3 said:
If someone is willing to $1400-$1500 for good quality commercial bred heifers, I have a couple liner loads for sale. :D

When things are really good here, the best for commercial bred heifers range from 1200-1400 , these are 6-8 month bred heifers.

Lately they are selling the best ones around 1000-1150 each, prices are way down here. I am holding on to my feeders for a while.

Good move hanging onto your feeders. We took a bath and the owners said we got most of the highest prices.

I figure right now I am buyer not seller and not pay anything close to some of the posts here.

Latest posts