Question on pine needle abortion

Help Support CattleToday:

mtchick

Reaction score
I have a 2 year old heifer that aborted her calf 6 weeks before due date. I panicked and took the calf to the vet for a necropsy to see if I could find out why. Still don't have any results 2 weeks later. Well there is a large slash pile in the cows pasture that I wanted to get burned last winter but it just didn't happen. So yesterday I'm out fixing fence and I see 2 of the yearling calves and the heifer that aborted in the slash pile taking huge mouth fulls of the old dry pine needles. I was under the impression that it was the green needles that caused the abortions, but do the dry ones do the same? The cows normally have hay 24/7 free choice, but there were a few days just before the heifer aborted that they got rather low and had to pick through the old stuff before I got a new bale out for them, and they had been out picking the new grass by the slash pile. I just never thought they would eat old dry pine needles.

I am fairly certain that the dry needles contain the same acid as the green needles on the tree.

I have a healthy supply of ponderosa pines and my cows like to strip them of their needles. This has resulted in me having to pen my cows up the last 3 months of gestation.

I have had a few pine needle abortions here, and one lingering characteristic of all of them was a retained placenta. Did this heifer hold on to the afterbirth or slough it like she should? A few years ago, I had a heifer do the same thing about the same time....except for poor little critter was born alive. That was a real heartbreaker.

Anyway, I think your suspicion is very accurate. I also have noticed that once a heifer or cow has a taste for needles they will really go after them and eating them directly from the tree seems to be learned behavior.

What type of pines? Ponderosa pines are the worst from my reading and here in fl the inly report I've heard of a bovine o any age or type dying from eating pine needles is from a needle piercing the stomach like hardware

We have a lot of ponderosa pines here too, and the cows do like to eat the needles.. we have had a couple abortions because of it, but luckily in the wintering areas there aren't too many pines... The pine beetle has done us a favour there!

I also believe they continue to be toxic. A friend of mine lost several calves recently to dry needles.
Sorry for your loss. Most of us also "have learned the hard way."

Thanks for the replys. I think that what we have are ponderosa pine or close enough, they just call them Bull Mountan pine here. She did retain the placenta for almost a week, I was worried about that also, but she seems fine now. I guess first thing I need to do is get rid of the slash pile, and then fence in an area with out pines for next years calving season.

Did you happen to treat her for infection? If I had a cow with a retained placenta, I would make sure it all cleaned out and i would pak her full of uterine boluses.........

I did call the vet about the retained placenta, she said if there was no bad smell to it that I shouldn't worry about it and it was normal. I've been keeping an eye on her and there is no discharge and she is eating fine. I'll keep watching her.

I'd say with almost absolute certainty with the retained placenta that the abortion was caused by the pine needles.

I usually fish the placentas out and give antibiotics, it is really not a hard process (if you have a chute that is!)

Latest posts