question on MLV vaccine

Help Support CattleToday:

ugabulldog

Reaction score
I would like to switch over to MLV instead of killed. Looking at the Bovishield 5 VL5. Directions say for primary dose administer one dose to breeding cows and heifers approximately 1 month prior to breeding, followed by another dose 3-4 weeks later.I always thought one benefit of MLV over killed was only one dose was needed? I am guessing if MLV was used on heifer calves before or at weaning, then only one dose is needed a month before breeding? Just a little confused, thanks.

Bovi-Shield Gold FP 5 VL5. Takes 2 doses because of the L5. If you want to do it in one you got to drop the L5. In your case you also got it a component including the vibro bacteria.

The Fetal Protection 5 protects against the following 5 viral diseases:

1. IBR
2. BVD Type I
3. BAD Type II
4. PI3
5. BRSV.

The five above are the MLV component.

The L5 protects against the five Leptospira bacterial species. Those are a killed component. It takes two shots to achieve the necessary immunity for the killed Leptospira component.

You can do this two ways:

First, give Bovi-Shield Gold FP 5 L5.
Then booster with Spirovac or Leptoferm that contains the killed Leptospira component.

Second, use the other variant of Bovi-Shield Gold FP 5. That requires only one shot BUT it does not provide vaccination of the five strains of Leptospira bacteria.

I can understand being confused. The reason the various forms of Bovi-Shield have different directions for administration is because they come in a multitude of different combinations.

There must be 10 or more different combinations of Bovi-Shield Gold. It takes some delligent study to sort it out.

ok, that makes sense. Follow-up question: Directions say: heifers must receive at least 2 doses with the second dose administered approximately 30 days prebreeding. If I use this for the first time on first calf heifers, would they still need the second dose 30 days before breeding or only the first dose needs to be 30 days before breeding? (second dose would coincide with bull turn out)

ugabulldog":2iivwmur said:
ok, that makes sense. Follow-up question: Directions say: heifers must receive at least 2 doses with the second dose administered approximately 30 days prebreeding. If I use this for the first time on first calf heifers, would they still need 30 days before breeding or only the first dose needs to be 30 days before breeding? (second dose would coincide with bull turn out)
Yes. If you want them also protected against the 5 Leptospira bacteria. If not, No.

The point is: takes only one shot for the MLV component. But takes two for the killed VL5 component.

I don't know your area. Maybe lepto and vibrio are not an issue. If not, use Bovi-Shield Gold FP 5. And you only need one shot even on the initial administration because the preparation is only the MLV component.

Thanks Raven, vet recommended lepto. So for follow-up dose, is the Leptoferm you referred to the same product, but just the liquid vial? I don't see a separate product like the Spirovac. Also, I assuming I can give first time to cows who are nursing calves without hurting calves?

You can use either Leptoferm or Spirovac as your followup. Both come as killed bacteria preparations so no issue with pregnant or nursing cows/heifers.

In regard to the liquid vial and the freeze dried components. That relates to the Bovi-Shield Gold. The Spirovac and Leptoferm come in a clear suspension of killed bacteria called a bacterin. Yes, it is comparable to the clear vial in the Bovi-Shield Gold carton.

Bright Raven said:
You can use either Leptoferm or Spirovac as your followup. Both come as killed bacteria preparations so no issue with pregnant or nursing cows/heifers.

EDIT: It looks like Vibrio does not need follow up according to Pfizer website, is this your understanding also? ( I am using a borrowed bull so fell I might need vibrio) Thanks again.

ugabulldog":3lztr3lu said:
Bright Raven":3lztr3lu said:

EDIT: It looks like Vibrio does not need follow up according to Pfizer website, is this your understanding also? ( I am using a borrowed bull so fell I might need vibrio) Thanks again.

According to Zoetis (a spin-off of Pfizer) vibro vaccines require two initial doses for bulls, cows and heifers.

You can get a combo of Spirovac called VL5. Also Stay Bred has a VL5 combo. I could not find a Leptoferm Combo. Appears to cover L5 but not VL5. I will check again. Seems I saw it on Valley Vet or Jeffers.

Edited to add: Leptoferm is not available in a VL5 combo.

Bright Raven":1gsski2q said:
If you cannot find Spirovac VL5 or Staybred VL5, look for ReproSTAR VL5.

Ok, Staybred VL5 is just what I was looking for, thanks!! (less than Spirovac w/out the HB)

One more question, would this apply to calves also: If I give Bovi-shield 5 L5 to calves before weaning, they would only need Lepto booster and not for the 5 viral?

ugabulldog":2sjl8ct1 said:
One more question, would this apply to calves also: If I give Bovi-shield 5 L5 to calves before weaning, they would only need Lepto booster and not for the 5 viral?

If it were me, I would use Intranasal InForce 3 on calves. It is an intranasal MLV preparation and covers IBR, PI3, and BRSV. Then sometime after weaning, you can vaccinate with the Bovi-Shield Gold FP 5 VL5 MLV preparation.

Per instructions you can administer it to 0-8 day old calves. BRSV hits young calves and studies show early vaccination using an Intranasal MLV is effective.

You will often see the following regarding any vaccine for calves:
Calves vaccinated under 6 months of age should be revaccinated after 6 months of age.

Thus, it is easier for me to use the InForce 3 at birth and then do the FP 5 VL5 later.

14j989w.jpg

Latest posts