Question on growth and maturity in British Whites

Help Support CattleToday:

mwj

Reaction score
I just typed in British white in the search box at the top of this page and it produced 628 hits from this board! Talk to the breeders on here and you will get more reasonable advice.

I've had a few British Whites. You can ignore what the guy is telling you. Generalizations are often worthless - alot depends on the individual breeder and individual animal.

One heifer I bought at 8 months turned out to have been bred at 6 months - she calved a 70 pounder at age 15 months. I figured she'd need a c-section, but it came with a hard pull. Imagine how easy if we'd bred her at 12 months, let alone the standard 15 months.

70 pound calves were the average in the herd she came from. I was expecting smaller from her, but I think I fed her too well over concerns of her being stunted.

Anyway, she raised a nice steer calf, which was at frame 3 to 4, even with me stealing a quart or two of milk daily from his mom for months. His mom was frame 3. Here's frame sizes if you're not familiar. Adjusted for age.

http://www.angus.org/Performance/AHIR/P ... Score.aspx

Here he is just before butchering last September at around 15 months old after very little grain - a few handfuls a day.

IMG_1861.jpg

Latest posts