question on feeding bran

Help Support CattleToday:

Dee

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone feeds flaked bran to their cattle. The feed guy dropped it off at the neighbors lot by mistake, and said not to worry about it, he wasn't coming back for it. So I now have #350 of what looks like ground up rasin bran, without the rasins. I just wondered how much to mix in with a show calfs ration?

we fed a rice bran mixture to my daughters show heifers.
(Rice bran, cotton seed, and corn) and they got a 10 lb ration with free hay ever day and gained really well on it. I dont know what kind of bran you've got but I'd start em slow..mix a lil in at a time with their other ration.

Just outta curiosity, how much is it a lb..or 50# bag? and what kind of bran is it. We'll be penning and sorting her hiefers out of the herd for the upcoming year next month and I'm interested to know what others feed.

http://www.bsm.com/Products/product.asp?id=47

The above link is the product. I asked the neighbor, he said the slip said almost $8 a bag, for #50. I was just concerned since it is so fine and dry, if I gave him a handful with a gallon of water he could blow up. :roll: It says 14.5% protein on the bag. Thanks for the reply

I like bran in my show ration at about 5 or 10 percent.

ollie":75o0qoo2 said:
I like bran in my show ration at about 5 or 10 percent.
I don't think that rice bran feeds near as well as wheat bran, at least not in my experience.

Well I asked for wheat bran when starting those heifers on feed. And no one around here could supply it..so that's why I went with the rice mixture.

So what you got was pure wheat bran?
Anymore it seems that everything is $8 or higher.

I got lucky and found a man to mix my feed for me. $167 a ton. Ends up about 4.10 a bag. And I didnt have to feed no where near as much as the premixed rations.

:cboy: The rice bran and wheat bran are both grains, and will add protien as well as fat when added to your ration. Both are very paletable and therefore high TDN feeds. I have used an extuded rice bran as a fat additive, which worked extremely well. It was a 20% fat, but would not burn off the hair like corn products. The wheat bran (if that's what you have) probably doesn't have as high a protein or fat as rice bran. I'm sure you can find a breakdown on the internet.

Brand really aint all that good. I think it is really just a filler. What I would do is get some cotton seed and mix it with the brand and feed it to my mama cows.

Latest posts