question on /cwt average pricing

Help Support CattleToday:

J

Reaction score
Ok I've been watching the sale reports of 3 local sale barns in my area for some time now. I have only bought cows at per head prices, (bred cows) but I have been keeping up with per hundred weight prices too, so heres my question.
The reports give a low and high price for each weight class. (300-400 .lbs No.1 Steers: $140-$165) Okay Since I dont know the number of head sold in that weight class and the price they brought, is it okay to assume an average of $153/cwt for that weight class? I know the lighter ones generally sell higher/pound and the heavier sell lower/lb. So I guess it kind of evens out. But assuming the 153/cwt average if I multiply that time 3.5 the mid weight of that class is that an accurate way of calculating prices? (153x3.5=535.50?)

The weight means just that.... for example, could of been 1 weighed 300 and 1 weighed 400 or multiple calves in ring at one time for example 6 in ring weight = 1800 equals 300 each. The rings always post that high number ($165), it seems more often then not maybe 1 bunch brought that high number and the number of animals that got the lower amount increases greatly as the price goes down. The yards like to post those high numbers to entice people that perhaps a certain yard is getting a higher average than another yard.

I'm not sure if you'll understand what I'm trying to say, but I hope it helps.

mitchwi":t4mt0jfr said:
The rings always post that high number ($165), it seems more often then not maybe 1 bunch brought that high number and the number of animals that got the lower amount increases greatly as the price goes down. The yards like to post those high numbers to entice people that perhaps a certain yard is getting a higher average than another yard.
In La. the prices are reported by the State Dept of Agriculture market reporters.

la4angus":357rrm2f said:
mitchwi":357rrm2f said:
The rings always post that high number ($165), it seems more often then not maybe 1 bunch brought that high number and the number of animals that got the lower amount increases greatly as the price goes down. The yards like to post those high numbers to entice people that perhaps a certain yard is getting a higher average than another yard.
In La. the prices are reported by the State Dept of Agriculture market reporters.

I'm not saying they made up the number...I hope I wasn't interpreted that way. I believe around here, every yard will post their own numbers, for instance....

http://cridata.crinet.com/cla/Market%20 ... Monday.htm

Up here the market report is published by the USDA and gives the high and low price of that weight group and type of animal.
When there is only one number listed, say large & medium steers, 1-2, 700-800 lbs, $110.25, I take it to mean that there was only one steer with a 1-2 butt weighing between 700 & 800 pounds and he sold for 110.25 a hundredweight.
Could be wrong....DMc

In fact there is a link on the home page that will access the sale reports around the country.

la4angus":2zfjzmns said:
mitchwi":2zfjzmns said:

Yep, and you can see what each auction barn sold by price as well as groupings, on the net. Hey La, aint bad for our state that's always last in everything.

In the Missouri and Arkansas auctions where I do business there is a USDA reporter that reports the prices. The one thing that is always consistent is that you have no idea what calves are actually bringing by the market report. They report the high end and very few calves make it in the "medium and large No. 1 category. Most all the cattle will be in the 3's and 4's category or less. If you read the report and sell your calves you will be disappointed because they didnt bring what was in the report. The only way to actually know what they are bringing is go to the sale. You can drive yourself crazy trying to decipher what the sale report means your cattle will bring, just go to the sale and see what comparable cattle are actually bringing.

before or after i sell calves.i always ave the prices.to get an over all ave price of what cattle sale for.an have always been right on the monet with my calves.if they bring lower i uaually know why before i sale them.ao theres no price shock.as for the dought forcing the breeding stock sales.om;y the price of the bred cows an pairs will go down.till the sellout flood is over.feeder calves will stay steady.an rise higher.

bigbull338":2uksaamo said:
the price of the bred cows an pairs will go down.till the sellout flood is over.feeder calves will stay steady.an rise higher.

I understand with the drought situation you're having in the south your statement about the bred and pairs price going down. But can you explain why the feeder calves will stay steady? I am assuming because grain prices are holding steady also (at low prices).

b/c when you sellout a herd 10% of the cows will be culls.an the people that hang on will still be selling feeder calves.an a bad drought stresses cows for up to 2yrs.throws their calving an breeding off.

mitchwi":2gcqxqsb said:
bigbull338":2gcqxqsb said:
the price of the bred cows an pairs will go down.till the sellout flood is over.feeder calves will stay steady.an rise higher.

I understand with the drought situation you're having in the south your statement about the bred and pairs price going down. But can you explain why the feeder calves will stay steady? I am assuming because grain prices are holding steady also (at low prices).

The low grain prices are a big reason for the continued strong feeder/calf prices in the drought areas as 95% of calves & feeders are shipped to feedyards or wheat pasture in other areas. Yesterday all classes of cows (pairs, bred, packer) were up from last week. Getting more & more inquiries/orders from out of area cow buyers & packers.

Giving a fair chance for a little rain this weekend. Sure hope our prayers are answered soon.

Regards

Brock

stocky":23jgnwtv said:
In the Missouri and Arkansas auctions where I do business there is a USDA reporter that reports the prices. The one thing that is always consistent is that you have no idea what calves are actually bringing by the market report. They report the high end and very few calves make it in the "medium and large No. 1 category. Most all the cattle will be in the 3's and 4's category or less. If you read the report and sell your calves you will be disappointed because they didnt bring what was in the report. The only way to actually know what they are bringing is go to the sale. You can drive yourself crazy trying to decipher what the sale report means your cattle will bring, just go to the sale and see what comparable cattle are actually bringing.

Stocky nailed this one. The only problems with going yourself is that you need to to be at couple sales to get a good feel for the range, and while you are there you may be tempted into bidding :( Maybe if I went to church before the sales barn I would not be soooo tempted?

I usually call a cattle trucker and get the recent history on several sales barns unless my checking account is flush.

Latest posts