question on cross breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

sirrahranch

Reaction score
can someone give me some insight on cross breeding a simmental bull ( black ) to brangus cows ( 2nd. calf ) and if anyone has done this already? what was the results? thanks for your replies, be truthful, please. del @ sirrah ranch

sirrahranch":3t8yq7mv said:
can someone give me some insight on cross breeding a simmental bull ( black ) to brangus cows ( 2nd. calf ) and if anyone has done this already? what was the results? thanks for your replies, be truthful, please. del @ sirrah ranch

del @ sirrah ranch-

In answer to your question "--has anyone done this already?" - YES, this subject has been explored extensively - specifically in relationship to crossbreeding protocols with breed comparisons, and with 2 and 3 breed Heterosis studies in traditional crossbreeding systems.

Simmentals are also included in these studies. I am taking it for granted that you have done extensive exploration into Crossbreeding itself, and the resulting heterois (hybrid vigor) obtained thereby, and the cross bred animals combining the strengths of the various breeds being used to form the cross in the first place. If you have NOT done that investigation work, I urge you to do so in a very deliberate manner! There are hundreds of research papers available on the internet under the subject head "Crossbreeding of Beef Cattle."

Here are a few suggestions:

http://advantagecattle.com/forum/topic. ... IC_ID=4013
http://www.ext.vt.edu/news/periodicals/ ... -0313.html

Dr. Jim Gosey, Ph.D. wrote a couple of articles which appeared in the "SimTalk Magazine", the Simmental breed periodical, and you may be able to access these articles by contacting the Magazine and asking for a copy of them. Do a search on "Dogpile.com" under "SimTalk Magazine".

DOC HARRIS

del @ sirrah ranch-

I guess that the two links that I provided for you don't work, for some unknown reasons.

The next best advice that I can give you is to just explore extensively the "Dogpile" links, specifying Simmental in particular. You may access the information that way.

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts