Question on conformation...

Help Support CattleToday:

ArmyDoc

Reaction score
As I look at all the various pictures posted here and elsewhere, I have noticed that a lot of cows have longer legs in the back than the front - to the point that their hips are noticeably higher than their front ends. I thought their backs were supposed to be more or less level. On this site: http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publica ... MP-398.pdf They don't specifically address the back, but those with "good conformation" seem to have their hips at about the same height as their shoulders.

One site on photographing cows even went so far as to say you should position them slightly up hill... and when I started looking for it, it seems a lot of the catalogs do exactly this. Are they trying to make their backs look level when they really aren't?

So, I guess what I'm asking is, are their backs supposed to be more or less level or not? Also, how important is it in the greater scheme of things?

I maybe shouldn't respond since I don't know for sure, but it my understanding they are supposed to be as level as is possible. So much weight is carried to the front of their bodies, that standing down hill compromises the front legs over time. If someone knows different ~ jump in.

Depends on the age.

From weaning sometimes through the 18-20 month old stage some cattle will appear to have longer back legs. They usually grow out of it and level up.

I'm going to go farther than MikeC, the awkward growth stage of having the back end higher than the front can last up to 3 years, depending on the breed. Some are slow to mature.
You do want a cow that is more level however. A higher back end on a mature cow can cause calving problems.

A high tail head shows a tipped up pelvis. During birth the calf has to arc up over the pelvis. A tipped up pelvis therefore can cause the feet to get stuck under the tail head. More difficult and more painful birth.

Victoria":3uehpwa9 said:
A high tail head shows a tipped up pelvis. During birth the calf has to arc up over the pelvis. A tipped up pelvis therefore can cause the feet to get stuck under the tail head. More difficult and more painful birth.

Good assessment. And it looks lousy

Victoria":1biak82e said:

Thanks Victoria, that makes sense.

The high tailhead has alwasy been one trait that I'm a stickler for. Besides the possible difficulty calving there is also the issue of the OS being immersed in all of the stuff that shold be sloughed and passed out of the cow.

dun":o2r9437f said:
The high tailhead has alwasy been one trait that I'm a stickler for. Besides the possible difficulty calving there is also the issue of the OS being immersed in all of the stuff that shold be sloughed and passed out of the cow.

How does the high tail head relate to the angle between the hooks and pins dun, is it the same thing, or 2 seperate calving concern points?

I was told a slight upward incline from front to rear in a cow was desireable and the reverse in a bull.
I can't remember the exagerated cartoon bull that reminds me of this but he was huge and tall in the shoulders compared to his rear.

ALX.":39bywu3v said:
dun":39bywu3v said:

How does the high tail head relate to the angle between the hooks and pins dun, is it the same thing, or 2 seperate calving concern points?

I was told a slight upward incline from front to rear in a cow was desireable and the reverse in a bull.
I can't remember the exagerated cartoon bull that reminds me of this but he was huge and tall in the shoulders compared to his rear.

Sfould be a slight angle down from the hooks to the pins.

Latest posts