Question on BCS

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE":1tt6sooq said:
i would'nt think so either as dry as its been there

That's where you make the mistake, flukes are always a big problem in a drought especially when ponds start drying up, effectively increasing the always present concentration of flukes because of less water volume.

The symptoms also don't always show themselves immediately, but when the cow get stressed the will really wear her down. The symptoms usually show themselves at the change of seasons, often shortly after the calves have been weaned.

I'm not saying it is flukes, but the owner need to try and identify the cause of the poor condition and rectify it if possible, if not possible he's better off without her.
well ive made em before

On the Fluke issue.. There are NO ponds on the property. The ONLY water they get is out of a plastic trough that is filled by city water. They are cleaned real regular. (old farmer told me that one of the best things you can do for a cow is very clean water)
The calf was weaned at 6.5 months. He has been gone for about 7 weeks.
The cow was put back with the bull about 3 months ago. I did not have the vet palpate her in November because I felt she would be way to early to check. I am do to have him out in about 2 weeks to check a few. (her included). She has not heated as far as I can tell. My bull is a stealthy guy. I NEVER see him mount anything, but he's 2 for 2 with his first tries and a 3rd is about 4 months along. (so i guess he's 3 for 3 and I have no reason to believe this one and the others are open based on lack of heats)
The last wormer I did use was the Ivomec plus and I used it about mid-late october.
So I guess the plan of attack is to worm her with an injectable and hit her with some heavy feed for a while.
What grains would you recommend or should I stick with the cubes and increase the amount?

You don't get it - no cow should need grain, not nursing a calf, and not severe winter with poor hay. This cow is dry, short bred (not last trimester) and going into spring. She should gain weight quick enough - only needing to be in good condition by 3rd trimester.
If this is just a hobby & you want good looking cattle in your pastures - go for it. Feed her grain.

Latest posts