Question of net wrap

Help Support CattleToday:

lavacarancher

Reaction score
I don't want to stir up anything but I just got my first net wrapped bales of hay yesterday and wonder what the trick is to gettin that stuff off the bale. I think I'm gonna hafta buy some different handling equipment. I have a bale spear for the from of the tractor and take the net off before sittin' it on the feeder or ground. Back hay handler is a fork (not a spear) so 1) you can't get the stuff off with the bale sittin' on the ground and 2) you can't get it off sittin' on the hay forks. I had to pick the bale up with the front spear to get the stuff off. Is that the way you folks do it????

Just stand the bale up on one of its ends, take a pocket knife and cut through the net wrap and pull it off. This is easy if you have a front-end bale spear that raises and lowers - just spear the bale at one end, lift it up high enough, tilt the front end down and let the bale fall down on its end. While doing this keep a bale on the rear to give you stability while handling the bale on the front. If your front bale spear only lifts but does not tilt down (by way of hydraulic control lever) then you would have to either spear the bale from the side, lift it and try to rotate it on the spear so the end points down and then lower it back to the ground where you want it OR tie a chain/rope around one end and then pull from the other direction to get the bale to stand on end, allowing the net wrap to be cut off easily.

your doing it right on front end loader, for the bale fork on your three point set the bale on the ground on the fork, pull ahead half way and lift the three poin, should set the bale on its end and u can cut the net wrap off

BeefmasterB":1k4u2kfg said:
Just stand the bale up on one of its ends, take a pocket knife and cut through the net wrap and pull it off.

Then, go back to the barn and sharpen the knife again before the next bale. Between the netwrap and they hay, it'll dull a knife quick! :mrgreen:

My hay is in an aisle. Instead of using the back lift under the bale, I used to spear it about 6 inches up and then still lift it 2 feet. It worked great for unwrapping net.

Now that I am using cradles, I still have to lift it with the front anyway to get it in the cradle. When I get there, I drop the front bale in the cradle, drop the back bale on the ground, spin around the lift it with the front and put it in the next cradle. So now I am always unwrapping off of the front.

backhoeboogie":23s8hxij said:
My hay is in an aisle. Instead of using the back lift under the bale, I used to spear it about 6 inches up and then still lift it 2 feet. It worked great for unwrapping net.

Now that I am using cradles, I still have to lift it with the front anyway to get it in the cradle. When I get there, I drop the front bale in the cradle, drop the back bale on the ground, spin around the lift it with the front and put it in the next cradle. So now I am always unwrapping off of the front.

Yes, that's what I said I had to do was put the bale down, turn the tractor around and pick it up again with the spear. I have forks in the back, spear on the front.

OR, I can get a spear type hay handler for the 3 point in the back of the tractor and remove the netting before sitting it down.

Got any rain, BHB? My place is nothing but dirt now. The line of rain that was headed our way just broke up above Lavaca County and dissipated like its done for the past 2 1/2 years.

Thanks for the feedback.

lavacarancher":23bvb30l said:
backhoeboogie":23bvb30l said:

Yes, that's what I said I had to do was put the bale down, turn the tractor around and pick it up again with the spear. I have forks in the back, spear on the front.

OR, I can get a spear type hay handler for the 3 point in the back of the tractor and remove the netting before sitting it down.

Got any rain, BHB? My place is nothing but dirt now. The line of rain that was headed our way just broke up above Lavaca County and dissipated like its done for the past 2 1/2 years.

Thanks for the feedback.

A lot of rain came this week. Something like 3 and a half inches over 5 days. I wish that for everyone across the state. It had me thinking I'd break even on the hay crop. Then we decided to send a load to a cousin down your way.

My back life is forks too. I just spear with them instead of lifting from underneath.

Latest posts