Question: Is it incorrect to say 'canter' in the US?

Help Support CattleToday:

dougle

Reaction score
Question: Is it incorrect to say 'canter' in the US?

Woudl everyone say 'lope'?

Thanks, Elaine.

Hi, Canter is English riding lingo, and Lope is for Western riding.
Now, I ride gaited horses, so my lingo is GLIDE!

we aways say lope but ive also heard canter used pretty regular so dont see what differance it would make. unless for showing or competition.

I rode western until a year ago...had a western trainer that referred to the "lope" as a canter. Wasn't a big issue to me, but I was surprised. Now riding english and taking dressage lessons, everything is "canter."

I've only ridden western and been around western style, not showing or english and I've heard "canter" pretty much all my life. I've only heard "lope" on these boards.

lope usually is a slower version of the canter and associated with Western horsemanship but not always. A canter is a 3 beat gait all the time and a little more forward, a lope can be 3 beat and 4 beat. A gallop is an extended version of the canter were there is 4 beats to the gait because the horse is going so fast that the beat number two turns into two beats, like in a race horse.

Never heard the word "hand-gallop" until Sunday at my lesson. Evidently it's a faster version of canter but slower than an all-out gallop?

born2run":3j2bahxd said:
Never heard the word "hand-gallop" until Sunday at my lesson. Evidently it's a faster version of canter but slower than an all-out gallop?

Yep. And it needs to be under control. Depending on the horse, that can be interesting. :lol: ;-)

i never new loop means cantering thought it meant loop and cow or something lol. im from the uk so wouldnt really know.

vthorse":10yznwuv said:
Hi, Canter is English riding lingo, and Lope is for Western riding.
Now, I ride gaited horses, so my lingo is GLIDE!

I'm with you! My horse glides, but he will canter, right before he breaks into a gallop. :D