question from a newbie about sick calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I've just been involved in cattle a couple of weeks, have several calves, 100-250#s. It is extremely cold outside, like a 0 chill factor. Went to feed them their quart of warm milk a few minutes ago and one of the calves has a bad cough, sort of like croup. No way I can get a vet tonight, anything I might do to make sure she makes it till a.m. Would heat lamp help? She has a barn with plenty of hay , and 2 other calves with her to help keep warm. I have no medicine, except human-type penicillin(sp?)
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

(User Above)":ojgnna5i said:
: I've just been involved in cattle a couple of weeks, have several calves, 100-250#s. It is extremely cold outside, like a 0 chill factor. Went to feed them their quart of warm milk a few minutes ago and one of the calves has a bad cough, sort of like croup. No way I can get a vet tonight, anything I might do to make sure she makes it till a.m. Would heat lamp help? She has a barn with plenty of hay , and 2 other calves with her to help keep warm. I have no medicine, except human-type penicillin(sp?)<p>
<br>

#1 You can always get out a vet if you have a good relationship with one. Good idea to develop one!<br>#2 The calf likely has pneumonia. Injectable antibiotics are best, in desperation, use oral. You likely have amoxicillin or ampicillin. The dose on those for cattle is likely in the 500mg per 100 lbs range. I don't use that drug in cattle since it's not the usual method of admin. Also, a heat lamp won't hurt as long as it's warm on the calf, won't start a fire or burn the calf.(not too close or too far) Take the calf's temperature, normal is 101-102 (38-39C)if it's above 104 (40) I'd just about guarantee pneumonia. This is contagious. Good Luck!
<br>

[email protected]