Question forRed Angus Folks?

Help Support CattleToday:

gertman

Reaction score
A friend and fellow cattleman is in the market for a Red Angus bull he plans on breeding heifers, retaining the heifer replacements, and wants to increase frame size. What bloodlines should he consider, which should stay away from? His cows are high pecentage angus breeding.

I second the Cherokee Canyon, to a point. There are some exceptional grandsons with better CEM numbers out there now but they will not help you with frame.

I would PM "BRG" on these boards, his cattle have some good frame and I know he has had at least one good CE bull in the past. See what he has to suggest.

If i were to have a second chance on what Bull to use to produce heifer's I would use HOBO 1961 his daughters have substance good feet, and udders, can have a big calf and they last. And he is OSF. The one's I have Just do thing's wright. His carcass # are not good but few carcass bulls make good cows. They have proven the test of time again and again.

I am not real up on Red Angus. I know that Cherokee Canyon got overused........so much so that it got to be a little bit of a joke for those of us outside of the breed; but what is the knock on his progeny?

Brandonm22":1n2iwme7 said:
I am not real up on Red Angus. I know that Cherokee Canyon got overused........so much so that it got to be a little bit of a joke for those of us outside of the breed; but what is the knock on his progeny?
Daughters are hard calvers. He is the poster boy for P poor maternal calving ease

dun":3k4ja50v said:
Brandonm22":3k4ja50v said:
Daughters are hard calvers. He is the poster boy for P poor maternal calving ease

-15 EPD for CEM. I have never seen one worse.

3waycross":hjtger82 said:
dun":hjtger82 said:
Brandonm22":hjtger82 said:

-15 EPD for CEM. I have never seen one worse.
That is the lowest number for the entire breed

dun":1ebb7zy8 said:
Brandonm22":1ebb7zy8 said:

Yuck! That answers THAT question. You could probably manage around it by doing heifer pelvic measurements.....but I can't blame anybody for not wanting to go there.

Brandonm22":20nuq46z said:
dun":20nuq46z said:
Brandonm22":20nuq46z said:

Yuck! That answers THAT question. You could probably manage around it by doing heifer pelvic measurements.....but I can't blame anybody for not wanting to go there.
Some of his sons are much better for CETM, grandsons are even better. We have 2 grandsons that we'll be using this year. We do pelvics on all retained heifers.
The best thing about his calves is their vigor and vitality at birth. The little bugger are up and looking for groceries in less then 10 minutes, one was up before the cow was.

They also put some really typy calves on the ground you just need to get at least maybe two generations removed from the bull himself.

Looking at Cherokee Canyon daughters from behind, was there anything visualy that indicated there might be a problem? What was the problem, small Pelvic openings or the wrong angles?

KNERSIE":2c94q4c0 said:
Looking at Cherokee Canyon daughters from behind, was there anything visualy that indicated there might be a problem? What was the problem, small Pelvic openings or the wrong angles?

The story I have heard is that they have vertical slitlike pelvic openings.

Latest posts