Question for V the Vet or Other Brave Soul...

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have been researching vaccine information for cattle to hopefully get more insight on this confusing subject...lol.

Question is:

With Pfizer's "Stay Bred VL5" vaccine, is it safe to administer after a cow is already pregnant? Info. I have is to use it 30 to 60 days before she is serviced; and, to use on bulls, with an annual booster shot. With all the possible side effects of ANY vaccine, was wondering if Stay Bredc VL5 (or similar vaccine by other drug company) can cause abortions or other problems in 1st calf heifers or cows.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

or similar vaccine by
> other drug company) can cause
> abortions or other problems in 1st
> calf heifers or cows.

Any vaccine can cause ill effects to any animal if the stress of receiving the vaccine triggers abortion. Any modified live vaccine has the potential to cause abortion or birth defects when given to early pregnant animals. Having said that, if the vaccine is said to be safe for pregnant cows and heifers, there is a negligible risk of abortion or birth defects (vaccine no higher risk than injecting water). If it states that the vaccine MUST be given prior to breeding, do it then and not to a pregnant animal. Vaccines are best given prior to breeding because then there is protection from the diseases which attack the early pregnancy. I don't use that vaccine (it may not even be available in Canada for all I know) so I can't comment on that specific vaccine. I don't really have time right now to do the research for you. Sorry about that! V the actual v the v but I erased my cookies and can't remember the password...
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Good question Bill, I am concerned about the timing of vaccinations also. For those that run a bull all the time and don't have a specific calving season, it is harder to vaccinate cows when they are open because you would be penning a few here and there after they have calved to give them vacciantions. Right now we have some Longhorns that are 6 months bred, some 4 months bred and some calves that need vaccinating. I am leary about vaccinating the cows (Blackleg, Triangle-9) when they are bred, even with killed vaccine.

------------------------------------
> I have been researching vaccine
> information for cattle to
> hopefully get more insight on this
> confusing subject...lol.

> Question is:

> With Pfizer's "Stay Bred
> VL5" vaccine, is it safe to
> administer after a cow is already
> pregnant? Info. I have is to use
> it 30 to 60 days before she is
> serviced; and, to use on bulls,
> with an annual booster shot. With
> all the possible side effects of
> ANY vaccine, was wondering if Stay
> Bredc VL5 (or similar vaccine by
> other drug company) can cause
> abortions or other problems in 1st
> calf heifers or cows.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Good question Bill, I am concerned
> about the timing of vaccinations
> also. For those that run a bull
> all the time and don't have a
> specific calving season, it is
> harder to vaccinate cows when they
> are open because you would be
> penning a few here and there after
> they have calved to give them
> vacciantions. Right now we have
> some Longhorns that are 6 months
> bred, some 4 months bred and some
> calves that need vaccinating. I am
> leary about vaccinating the cows
> (Blackleg, Triangle-9) when they
> are bred, even with killed
> vaccine.

>
> ------------------------------------ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~tri-9 dont hurt bred cows .older cattle dont need blackleg shots .just calves and yearlings.~~~~~~~~~~Tc
 

Latest posts

Top