Question for the vets

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
Scooters losing hair like crazy. The specks are where her skin is showing. I can run my hand across her and get a alarming amount of hair in my hand. No signs of fleas, mites , rash itching or anything else.
Probably try to get her to the vet after the holiday.
Any input much appreciated.
FenceKIMG1125.JPG

I would consider Cushings or even hypothyroid Fence. Scooter has the profile for Cushings, tubby, pot bellied but so far the hair loss does not seem too bad like in thinning around the flanks. Does he drink a lot of water?
Some blood tests should point you in the right direction.
This is all getting a bit distant for me too.

Ken

My dogs are also losing their hair in a freaky amount but I've attributed it to the very strange weather we are having. Super hot one week, very cool the next and lots of rain. You are in Central Texas like me.

If you are concerned about health - check the hair - is it brittle? Is her skin dry and flaky? Does she itch a lot? How old is she? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. But that's just me. My Blue Lacy is dropping hair like he's being shaved. He is young, very healthy, eats like a goat, does not itch. He's coat is soft and smooth. It's been 2 weeks since he's had a bath. Which reminds me - give her a bath with oatmeal shampoo for dogs.

I am in Southern Minnesota and our German shepherd/ heeler mix and aussie/ hound mix are all but naked for all of the hair they have lost. It is not abnormal for my boys to blow their undercoats in June- but the hot humid weather this year is definitely working against us. I deworm and give a flea treatment every 3 months and even after the last treatment its still awful. I recommend a Furminator, tea tree oil, and it any hots spots skin so soft from Avon! Best of luck and dont forget to love on your vaccum!

Cushings? Of course that's just me guessing out loud. Let us know what you find out.
I would consider Cushings or even hypothyroid Fence. Scooter has the profile for Cushings, tubby, pot bellied but so far the hair loss does not seem too bad like in thinning around the flanks. Does he drink a lot of water?
Some blood tests should point you in the right direction.
This is all getting a bit distant for me too.

Ken
Well right after I posted we flipped her over and after a through search found 2 fleas. Still took her to see the vet. No way 2 fleas could cause this.
The vet believes it to be a flea allergy.
We don't really have to deal to much with fleas here and apparently the wet weather might be favoring fleas.
Cushing's hasn't been ruled out. Although he said at her age he typically would treat Cushing's with benign neglect. Since it causes little discomfort. Anyways a couple of really through bathings with some expensive shampoo and we'll see.
I did notice she slept all night. No prowling about the house. Maybe she felt better, or maybe just tired from the big day..... thanks, and she would like to perform her trick for y'all....

Well right after I posted we flipped her over and after a through search found 2 fleas. Still took her to see the vet. No way 2 fleas could cause this.
The vet believes it to be a flea allergy.
We don't really have to deal to much with fleas here and apparently the wet weather might be favoring fleas.
Cushing's hasn't been ruled out. Although he said at her age he typically would treat Cushing's with benign neglect. Since it causes little discomfort. Anyways a couple of really through bathings with some expensive shampoo and we'll see.
I did notice she slept all night. No prowling about the house. Maybe she felt better, or maybe just tired from the big day..... thanks, and she would like to perform her trick for y'all....

A few less snacks probably would help her also............ COL

@callmefence Her nose is like the one my bulldog had. No matter what I put on it she would lick it off and it stayed scabbed over. She also shed like crazy as my wife had to vacuum everyday because of it.