Question for the commercial cow/calf producers.

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Just wondering what you payed for your bull(s) this year or expect to pay this year for your new yearling bull ? Say you run 40-100 head ..

Lets say it is a really nice purebred bull from a reputable breeder .BSE completed and registered.

The last Angus was $4500
The most recent was a Murray Grey, he traveled 2660 miles to get here but was cheaper.
On a sole diet of grass the Angus fell apart. The MG is holding after a small weight loss.

Bought a certified high altitude Angus bull last year out of LCC New Standard for $2750

Sold a Blk Balancer heifer bull at auction for $3100 (also excellant for altitude)

Saw a real nice red Gelbvieh bull yesterday that couldn't haul water to your two Red GV's that was priced at $2000 off the farm no BSE.

HD you asked a real good q.3yrs ago i paid $1500 for a reg beefmaster.an im getting ready to replace him an i expect to pay $2000 to $2500.so id say you could sell a top end bull for $2000 to $2500.

KMacGinley":2voo1tz3 said:
We are selling yearlings sired by our 916S bull for $1500 with BSE. I am taking two to southern Indiana tomorrow.

I think you are selling them too cheap. I could see maybe the low end off that bull going for $1500 but if he is throwing anything like him then they should be going for at least $2000

The last bull I bought was $4750.. He is our new herd bull...

We sell our bulls starting at $1500 for a 12 month old bull and we add a $100 for each month after that....

I paid $1600 for one a couple weeks ago. Very nice Gelb/Angus Balancer. I got him so cheap because he was the only red one at this particular sale and everybody else wanted black. Sometimes a guy can find a deal I guess. By the way HD, are you asking because of the bulls you were trying to sell?

3waycross":3rf6nbf4 said:
KMacGinley":3rf6nbf4 said:
We are selling yearlings sired by our 916S bull for $1500 with BSE. I am taking two to southern Indiana tomorrow.

I think you are selling them too cheap. I could see maybe the low end off that bull going for $1500 but if he is throwing anything like him then they should be going for at least $2000

Let me know how to get them certified for High altitude and next year I will bring one out to you. :) I really like Colorado. Plus maybe Doc could buy my dinner again. :)

You are probably right about the price, but for Commercial cattlemen, I want to make them affordable, get some good bulls out there and build reputation. The ones I delivered today were my two favorites of this year and I told the guys that I want the option to buy them back when they are done with them.

They need to run at at least 7000' for at least 60 days and then be PAP tested. If they score below 44 or so they can make it up here. If they score under 38 they can go anywhere.(up to 10,000')

Am I reading that people will actually sell a bull without a BSE? Is that correct, never heard of that before.

BA":1mthdvzk said:
Am I reading that people will actually sell a bull without a BSE? Is that correct, never heard of that before.

Since our yearling bulls are mainly March calves, and our sale is early February. We do not test them, but we do guarantee them. Not only are they to young, but it is during the coldest part of the year. I would venture to guess that 1/4 of them would fall out do to the age alone.

alacattleman":v286vj56 said:
Aero":v286vj56 said:
Angus Cowman":v286vj56 said:
you bought the wrong bull then

that seemed obvious... ?
you are condescending fellow aint you :cowboy:

only in times of low importance : )

come on... he said he bought a $4500 bull that fell apart. was there anyone who read that and thought: "that's a good price for a bull and i am sure it was a great bull in a bad situation..."?

:tiphat:

Aero":i8qw2v1n said:
come on... he said he bought a $4500 bull that fell apart. was there anyone who read that and thought: "that's a good price for a bull and i am sure it was a great bull in a bad situation..."?

:tiphat:
that is what I was implying
I guess what I should of said was he bought the wrong type of bull for his management practices

Latest posts