Question for the Angus breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I would like to know which black angus bull or bulls are the most sought after for semen sales and who are the breed leaders for producing calves that everybody wants in their program for replacement heifers.

Every Angus breeder has his or her idea about the perfect cow and bull. The type of animal you raise is dictated by your location and desired end product. Ask your potential customers what do they want?

> I would like to know which black
> angus bull or bulls are the most
> sought after for semen sales and
> who are the breed leaders for
> producing calves that everybody
> wants in their program for
> replacement heifers.

[email protected]

Take a look through the ABS Global Sire Directory. They have sires for Carcass Merit and Mom makers including some excellent pictures which includes offspring of these sires. It might help you to decide which direction YOU want to take your herd.

[email protected]

I've seen Rockin D Ambush semen sell VERY high this year. And some 8180. New Design 036 is $100 and that's high to me. As you've told, different bulls work for different folks. Personally, I like my EXT cows and will look for some more this fall (if it rains).

> I would like to know which black
> angus bull or bulls are the most
> sought after for semen sales and
> who are the breed leaders for
> producing calves that everybody
> wants in their program for
> replacement heifers.

[email protected]

Where can I look at the ABS Global Sire Directory? Thanks for the info.

You can go to the website at <A HREF="http://www.absglobal.com">www.absglobal.com</A> and request one by mail ....or phone them 1-800-abs-stud if in the US or 608-846-3721 from other locations.

[email protected]

Isn't available from ABS anymore, so whoever has any is sitting on a gold mine

dunmovin farms

> I've seen Rockin D Ambush semen
> sell VERY high this year. And some
> 8180. New Design 036 is $100 and
> that's high to me. As you've told,
> different bulls work for different
> folks. Personally, I like my EXT
> cows and will look for some more
> this fall (if it rains).

He never was a strong producer, so there's probably not much of it left anywhere. But I just can't think any bull is worth $700 a straw. He's still alive. But he has some sort of injury that keeps him from being used natural service and he's not producing enough to be collected. It's a shame.... The old AAR New Trend bull got hot a few years ago and was selling for over $1000 a straw. I didn't buy any of that either!!

[email protected]

I agree it's a shame but 700 bucks a straw is insane.

dunmovin farms

> He never was a strong producer, so
> there's probably not much of it
> left anywhere. But I just can't
> think any bull is worth $700 a
> straw. He's still alive. But he
> has some sort of injury that keeps
> him from being used natural
> service and he's not producing
> enough to be collected. It's a
> shame.... The old AAR New Trend
> bull got hot a few years ago and
> was selling for over $1000 a
> straw. I didn't buy any of that
> either!!

8180 produced some great calves for us four years ago. The only problem was that all the calves robbed. I mean ALL the claves. I have heard the same from other producers who used him.

Our 8180 daughters in production have been fantastic producers. We had a winning pen of three two year old bulls all out of 8180 first calf heifers. And the only reason those bulls were still around at two was because at a year, they looked great, ultrasounded amazing, gained better than most and we decided to save the three best back and put together a pen that would get some attention.

BTW I still have two grown 8180 daughters that I am going to have to bring in to get weaning rings in the nose. One was a first calf heifer last and went back to nursing her own mother. Before we caught her, her mother got run down and lost her new calf to starvation. Great calf for two months, but I bet it didn't gain 20 pounds. Found out why too late.

[email protected]

How in the world can that happen?!

> 8180 produced some great calves
> for us four years ago. The only
> problem was that all the calves
> robbed. I mean ALL the claves. I
> have heard the same from other
> producers who used him.

> Our 8180 daughters in production
> have been fantastic producers. We
> had a winning pen of three two
> year old bulls all out of 8180
> first calf heifers. And the only
> reason those bulls were still
> around at two was because at a
> year, they looked great,
> ultrasounded amazing, gained
> better than most and we decided to
> save the three best back and put
> together a pen that would get some
> attention.

> BTW I still have two grown 8180
> daughters that I am going to have
> to bring in to get weaning rings
> in the nose. One was a first calf
> heifer last and went back to
> nursing her own mother. Before we
> caught her, her mother got run
> down and lost her new calf to
> starvation. Great calf for two
> months, but I bet it didn't gain
> 20 pounds. Found out why too late.

> You can go to the website at
> <A HREF="http://www.absglobal.com">www.absglobal.com</A> and request one
> by mail ....or phone them
> 1-800-abs-stud if in the US or
> 608-846-3721 from other locations.

Thank You for the info Bward. I should have one coming to me.

What is the full name of 8180 bull? Also would the high cost for a straw indicate the best of the best. Like rockin D --- AAR New Trend.

Sitz Traveler 8180. Sometimes the high cost indicates the best of the best. Sometimes it just indicates a shortage of a particular bull, or one that gets "hot" for some reason, marketing, perceived quality, whatever... Right now lots of folks in my part of the country are hot on carcass and Rockin D is supposed to be a high quality carcass bull, plus there's not much of him available. I think there are too many good Angus bulls to pay sky high prices for semen. There's something to be said for a fertile bull that produces on a regular basis for a long time, like EXT. And there are those folks who like to brag about paying lots of money for rare genetics.

> What is the full name of 8180
> bull? Also would the high cost for
> a straw indicate the best of the
> best. Like rockin D --- AAR New
> Trend.

[email protected]

> Sitz Traveler 8180. Sometimes the
> high cost indicates the best of
> the best. Sometimes it just
> indicates a shortage of a
> particular bull, or one that gets
> "hot" for some reason,
> marketing, perceived quality,
> whatever... Right now lots of
> folks in my part of the country
> are hot on carcass and Rockin D is
> supposed to be a high quality
> carcass bull, plus there's not
> much of him available. I think
> there are too many good Angus
> bulls to pay sky high prices for
> semen. There's something to be
> said for a fertile bull that
> produces on a regular basis for a
> long time, like EXT. And there are
> those folks who like to brag about
> paying lots of money for rare
> genetics.

Sorry for all the ? What is the full name of EXT? I have heard that he throws excellent daughters. What are his epd numbers and What does a straw cost from him?

N Bar Emulation EXT. EXT takes a lot of flack for disposition, but we've been very happy with the daughters we've raised or bought. And commercial bull customers specifically ask for EXT bulls. His current EPDs are BW 2, WW 43, Milk 21 and YW 81. He has 9,701 daughters currently working in over 2,000 herds. So a lot of people like his daughters. He produced until he was 13 years old; there's something to be said for fertility. You can still get semen from ABS for about $35. We'll use him some this year, but there are so many commercial cow herds that have daughters in production, producers are having to look to an outcross bull. The major drawback of EXT, as far as I'm concerned, is his stature. People in my part of the country like larger framed bulls and he's not.

> Sorry for all the ? What is the
> full name of EXT? I have heard
> that he throws excellent
> daughters. What are his epd
> numbers and What does a straw cost
> from him?

[email protected]

> N Bar Emulation EXT. EXT takes a
> lot of flack for disposition, but
> we've been very happy with the
> daughters we've raised or bought.
> And commercial bull customers
> specifically ask for EXT bulls.
> His current EPDs are BW 2, WW 43,
> Milk 21 and YW 81. He has 9,701
> daughters currently working in
> over 2,000 herds. So a lot of
> people like his daughters. He
> produced until he was 13 years
> old; there's something to be said
> for fertility. You can still get
> semen from ABS for about $35.
> We'll use him some this year, but
> there are so many commercial cow
> herds that have daughters in
> production, producers are having
> to look to an outcross bull. The
> major drawback of EXT, as far as
> I'm concerned, is his stature.
> People in my part of the country
> like larger framed bulls and he's
> not.

What do ya know, I learn something new everyday. I just bought two reg. bulls back in March to try and dabble on the registered side and when you said what the full name of EXT was I thought that sounded familiar so I looked at my bulls pedigree and my main herd bull is an 036 son with the dam of PAF Lady Emulation 6560 Whose sire is N Bar Emulation EXT. And my other bull is a son of Leachman Right Time who was sired by N Bar Emulation Ext. Looks like I may be Hanging on to my heifers these bulls throw. Thanks for the pleasant surprise.

PAF Lady Emulation 6560 - One of those Pfeiffer cows. I sure hated that they dispersed. EXT was a very good bull (in my opinion), but he's still only half the makeup of a calf. The cow makes up the other half. Good luck...

[email protected]

By coincidence I just talked to the ABS rep, he says Rockin D is producing but it isn't first quality semen. It's good enough to breed a cow but not to flush. They are marketing it as select, a notch below their usual standards.

dunmovin farms

> I heard Rockin D is producing
> again, and back orders are being
> filled. If that is true the price
> will drop. Everyone wants what
> can't be bought.