Question for the 4th?

Help Support CattleToday:

gimpyrancher":2xtpkypf said:
I guess the answer depends on who you are and how it was "back then." If you were any minority or poor, those were not good times. If you were a woman trying to support a family, it wasn't good. If you were a legal immigrant, you might have been rounded up and imprisoned. Martin Luther King didn't fight just for African Americans, he also fought for the equal rights of the poor. In the timeframe of 'Nam, most injured soldiers died of their wounds. Now most are saved and returning disabled because of improved healthcare in the field and because of body armor. Remember how it was reported as to how we treated our disabled Vets at Walter Reed Hospital just last year? Would those brave men and woman feel it's better now than it "used to be?" Being disabled isn't the problem, it's lack of access to any real quality of life. Are most of the disabled vets able to go to these 4th of July celebrations? The "modern" and current answer is no. I know that for my 4th, and the fourth for many disabled vets, I've pledged to continue to fight this domestic war. Seems to me the good 'ol days of past depends on who you were/are.

I have been fortunate enough to have travelled all over the world. I have spent alot of time in many 3rd world countries. In comparison to the USA now the poor and minorities of years back had it rough but you would have to go way, way back for them to have it as rough as the normal folks in China, Phillipines, Africa, Central America, India, Mexico and other places that I have been. In general no American has anyone to blame but themselves for their position in life. Yes some have to work harder, longer and sacrafice more to have things than others, but the good thing about America is that it is still possible. No matter who you are the opportunity is there to better your position. It is not a right in America to be rich, famous or beautiful but the opportunity to work harder than the next guy / girl is a right. Success is not guaranteed but opportunity is. The constitution gives us the right for life, liberty and the PURSUIT of happiness. The right to pursue does not mean that you will always catch it. In most of the world it is not possible to be anything other than the class that you were born in.

So we should hold our head high because we are heads above third world countries? Israel committed to making their country fully accessible within 10 years. They did it. There are many places in Europe where we find more access than our "modern" country. You are correct, let's give our returning disabled vets just enough to say we give them more than China. I just felt they deserved so much more.

HOSS":cjvx7eyf said:
gimpyrancher":cjvx7eyf said:
I guess the answer depends on who you are and how it was "back then." If you were any minority or poor, those were not good times. If you were a woman trying to support a family, it wasn't good. If you were a legal immigrant, you might have been rounded up and imprisoned. Martin Luther King didn't fight just for African Americans, he also fought for the equal rights of the poor. In the timeframe of 'Nam, most injured soldiers died of their wounds. Now most are saved and returning disabled because of improved healthcare in the field and because of body armor. Remember how it was reported as to how we treated our disabled Vets at Walter Reed Hospital just last year? Would those brave men and woman feel it's better now than it "used to be?" Being disabled isn't the problem, it's lack of access to any real quality of life. Are most of the disabled vets able to go to these 4th of July celebrations? The "modern" and current answer is no. I know that for my 4th, and the fourth for many disabled vets, I've pledged to continue to fight this domestic war. Seems to me the good 'ol days of past depends on who you were/are.

I have been fortunate enough to have travelled all over the world. I have spent alot of time in many 3rd world countries. In comparison to the USA now the poor and minorities of years back had it rough but you would have to go way, way back for them to have it as rough as the normal folks in China, Phillipines, Africa, Central America, India, Mexico and other places that I have been. In general no American has anyone to blame but themselves for their position in life. Yes some have to work harder, longer and sacrafice more to have things than others, but the good thing about America is that it is still possible. No matter who you are the opportunity is there to better your position. It is not a right in America to be rich, famous or beautiful but the opportunity to work harder than the next guy / girl is a right. Success is not guaranteed but opportunity is. The constitution gives us the right for life, liberty and the PURSUIT of happiness. The right to pursue does not mean that you will always catch it. In most of the world it is not possible to be anything other than the class that you were born in.
Very good posts by HOSS and Texas Bred.

I remember the days in this country when a man owned and controlled what he worked for, invested in, and built.
If he had a business, restaurant or lunch counter he could set policy and run it anyway he so desired.
He had the right to serve or refuse to serve, to hire or refuse to hire, anybody he chose. It was his and did not belong to any demonstraters or the federal government.

When you take from those that have and give it to those that have not because they haven't earned it, the system will fail and nobody will have anything.
In the long run there are no free handouts.

And another thing-when I was a kid I rode a school bus about 40 minutes to and from school. I really did not like it. Even today when I see one of those yellow buses I have a smpathetic feeling for those kids.
But since my day, the meddlers and so called "civil rights" bunch have it where little kids have to spend hours on that bus in order to go to a school outside of their home area in order to achieve some sort of racial equality according to numbers. When little kids have to go stand at a bus stop, in the cold, before daylight, to get on a bus to take them away from their home area because of legalities brought on by somebody that wants to show how much legal and legislative power they can they can get --it just ain't right. :mad:

That is my say, in small part, about how this country has changed.

All I'm saying is that if we send them anywhere to fight for "our way of life," the least we can do is when they return we give them a chance at the American dream.

Latest posts