Question for Pig Hunters

Help Support CattleToday:

cow pollinater

Reaction score
I got attacked by a big boar hog at the ranch this morning. I'd seen him a few times in the same area when looking at cows throught the spotting scope so I knew I had a big one floating around. I was walking a steep stretch of fence and walked right up to about thirty feet from his bed and startled him. I yelled and waived but instead of running away like they usually do he was looking for the motion and when he found it he attacked.
I hit him with a big old Mark Mcquire swing with the heavy end of a set of fence stretchers and it turned his head just enough that he didn't hit me full force but he did cut my leg up a little. I fell over him and we rolled around together pretty good. I got stepped on and got a few punches on him that did more to make me feel better than they did to hurt him. Finally he stopped and strolled a few yards up the hill and stopped. I yelled at him to get him to move on and instead he turned back around to look for me again... So I **** and layed there quietly while he strolled up the hill in no big hurry.
Pigs around here are fairly migratory and you never really know when they'll show up but I'd already seen this guy a few times and he really seams comfortable where he's at. What do you supose the chances of me finding him in that same bed are and should I go back soon or give him a day or two to get settled back in?
He's bedded right next to about three acres of STEEP brush cover that's a key peice of ground for moving cattle from the high pasture to the low pasture so he HAS to go but I can't fight him in that brush.
Thanks in advance for any and all ideas.

One. Don't go looking for him in that cover.
Two. Get a trap from someone and set it in that area.
Three. Get that leg cleaned up good. They're almost as nasty as vultures.
Four. Carry a firearm and shoot the sob next time you see him or any of his cousins. If you see one there 2 dozen you don't see

Trust me, I ain't going into that brush after him. I did get the leg cleaned up good and it wasn't much of a cut. I'm not even all that sure how it happened but he did hit me in the legs so I'm assuming it was him.
I'm almost always armed but it's to much to carry with fencing supplies so I didn't have anything and he still would have got me because I had a split second just to use what I already had in my hand before he was on me. I could have shot him when he was done but that's all it would have done.
I'll look into the trap... That might be the way to go.

Bear spray would probably work. Ms Gale would advocate the use of a boiled egg too. Stops a pig cold in its tracks I hear.

Get checked by a doctor as they carry pseudo rabies and swine bangs. I never work anymore without a 1911 within reach.
They are real bad about guarding deer feeders and foot plots.

What is pseudorabies and swine brucellosis?

Pseudorabies, also known as "mad itch" is a swine herpes virus that may affect the respiratory, nervous and reproductive systems. Despite its name, it is not a rabies type disease but derives its name from the symptoms similar to a rabid animal. It is transmitted primarily through breeding but may also to be transmitted through respiratory secretions of the infected animal. Infected adult swine typically develop flu-like symptoms whereas young pigs can have severe respiratory and digestive symptoms and ultimately die. Pseudorabies poses no threat to humans but may be fatal to domestic livestock and pets.

Swine Brucellosis is an infectious, bacterial, reproductive disease that can cause abortion, low conception rates and other problems. It is transmittable to humans, known as undulant fever, and causes flu-like symptoms such as fever, chills, aches and pains. It is treatable with specific antibiotics

I got him today. :nod: I was working on my corrals and saw something moving around up on the hill. I stuck the spotting scope on it and was sure enough that it was him to stop working and drive to the top of the ranch. From there I dropped down to where I'd seen him and he was still there. I hit him from about forty yards with two rounds of 00 out of a full choke twelve gauge. I know it was him because he has a big welt up the side of his face... almost like the kind he'd get if someone belted him with a set of fence stretchers. :lol:
From here on out if they want to own part of that ranch they have to pay rent like the cows do. Otherwise it's mine.

cow pollinater":3s9k7m9r said:
I got him today. :nod: I was working on my corrals and saw something moving around up on the hill. I stuck the spotting scope on it and was sure enough that it was him to stop working and drive to the top of the ranch. From there I dropped down to where I'd seen him and he was still there. I hit him from about forty yards with two rounds of 00 out of a full choke twelve gauge. I know it was him because he has a big welt up the side of his face... almost like the kind he'd get if someone belted him with a set of fence stretchers. :lol:
From here on out if they want to own part of that ranch they have to pay rent like the cows do. Otherwise it's mine.
:clap: :clap: :clap: Coyote bait? --- or are you going to cook him? (Probably pretty rank, if he's an old guy.)

Pig bait. Nasty things will even eat each other... I only cook the ones that are small enough that I can carry them instead of drag them and are less than a quarter mile and uphill from the truck. Since he was none of the above he got left where he's at.

I always carry a .40 SA handgun in my holster during waking hours with hollow points. Have had more than one event to shoot something, but nothing as large as a hog. I can dispatch 8 to 10 rounds within 5 seconds... would that be enough? LOL!

Few weeks ago, was a sighting of a cougar about 4 miles from here. People saw it in their front yard. Of course, they, being sheeples, didn't have a gun... Unlike most of the people around here...lol.

cow pollinater":2ppe71jg said:

I have found that shotgun with buck shot or a big bore caliber is what is needed 44, 45 calibers need something with lots of stopping power. If you can't get a quartering away shot that dang shield is almost impenetrable.

Caustic Burno":1ypyt6re said:
cow pollinater":1ypyt6re said:

I have found that shotgun with buck shot or a big bore caliber is what is needed 44, 45 calibers need something with lots of stopping power. If you can't get a quartering away shot that dang shield is almost impenetrable.
Out to at least 50 yards a hardcast semi wadcutter in a 41 mag works wonders.

Speed is needed to get thru the shield or the skull. I put a full 15 round clip of 9mm into a boar that we surprised while on a stalk. Not one of those stopped him. It took a 12g with 00 to put it down.
He went about 380 lbs.

dun":e9t894z1 said:
Caustic Burno":e9t894z1 said:
cow pollinater":e9t894z1 said:

Out to at least 50 yards a hardcast semi wadcutter in a 41 mag works wonders.

41 Mag is a bad ass round I concur to the expertise of my elder.

Running Arrow Bill":3ove7xai said:
I always carry a .40 SA handgun in my holster during waking hours with hollow points. Have had more than one event to shoot something, but nothing as large as a hog. I can dispatch 8 to 10 rounds within 5 seconds... would that be enough? LOL!

Few weeks ago, was a sighting of a cougar about 4 miles from here. People saw it in their front yard. Of course, they, being sheeples, didn't have a gun... Unlike most of the people around here...lol.
I take they were imports and not natives of Texas?

I have noticed that the hogs here have started to be more aggressive and not as wild as usual.
Don't really know the reason. Maybe because of the expanding population.
They come and go,but at times it's nothing to see two or three herds with twenty or thirty in each herd (and thats not counting the little pigs) on our south Ranch.

Cal

Calman":2dorea6g said:
I have noticed that the hogs here have started to be more aggressive and not as wild as usual.
They come and go,but at times it's nothing to see two or three herds with twenty or thirty in each herd (and thats not counting the little pigs) on our south Ranch.

Cal

Again Cal I agree , hogs used to not guard the deer feeder's or food plots. I have walked up on them sleeping under the feeder's and they had no retreat in them. I don't know what has caused the change in behavior over the last few years. Wife and I walk, came up on a big boar and he didn't have any back up in him. Wife said shoot him, I replied with what all I had on me was a 22LR pistol. We backed up down the road and gave him the right away. Now I don't carry anything smaller than a 38 Super.

Calman":at8jj8u4 said:

Cal

I would love to walk you place with my 12ga Benelli loaded w/000 bucks 3" mags. Here piggy, piggy, piggy

Latest posts