Question for Novaman

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Or anyone else that AI's their Holsteins.

Have you ever used Gillette Jordan VG-EXT he is a Goldwyn/Durham bull. I just ordered some straws of him to breed a heifer, wanted the sexed semen of Samuelo but he is not calving ease.

May change my mind and put one of the last few straws of Stormatic I have in her instead .

Nope I haven't used him, yet. The reason being the price. He retails at $50 and my Semex rep won't cut me a deal. I have been buying Planet, Million, Bronco and several other high end bulls from Select Sires and with all the discounts I am paying around $25 so that's the route I have taken for now.

If you want to send that Stormatic my way I can surely put it too good use :D

hillsdown":5zuiy4fq said:
Or anyone else that AI's their Holsteins.

Have you ever used Gillette Jordan VG-EXT he is a Goldwyn/Durham bull. I just ordered some straws of him to breed a heifer, wanted the sexed semen of Samuelo but he is not calving ease.

May change my mind and put one of the last few straws of Stormatic I have in her instead .

Thanks Nova .. I payed 65 a straw for it as I do not buy enough to get a discount. I was really disappointed to see how the prices of semen have escalated to a ridiculous amount. The bulls available were not that impressive either, that Comestar Lauthority bull, they want 80 a straw for him and he is only in 61 herds and has 86 daughters, so not even really good proofs on him yet .. :?

Have you ever bought semen from Genex? I don't even know if there is a rep around my area but I was looking over there lineup and I have to say they have some pretty impressive looking bulls.

CRI markets their young sires right with the proven lineup. Demand reliability before you buy or you may just be getting a genomic young sire at a proven sires price.

As far as sorted semen and calving ease, remember that you have a 90plus% chance of having a heifer calf, so a bull that is a 9% calving ease sire is really more like a 6-7% when he's sorted.

cow pollinater":2g9mn1go said:
CRI markets their young sires right with the proven lineup. Demand reliability before you buy or you may just be getting a genomic young sire at a proven sires price.

As far as sorted semen and calving ease, remember that you have a 90plus% chance of having a heifer calf, so a bull that is a 9% calving ease sire is really more like a 6-7% when he's sorted.
Wife use to use a lot of uproven sires but those with background on cows that for one reason or another we had problems getting bred. She may have just been lucky but we got some pretty good milkers out of them and a lof of them went on to become proven. I guess we helped out with that part. At $3-4 a straw back then it was a heck of a deal..plus you get more semen in the straw. Working with the holstein assn. we even got a lot of semen free.

cow pollinater":iwr5qdpz said:

Yeah I noticed they have a lot of bulls under 80% on the production reliability. I usually don't use anything with a reliability under 90% as I don't have a big enough herd to do too much gambling and miss on one. I went away from using sorted semen for the most part. I still have a bunch in the tank that I had planned on using but conception was not very good and I opted to get them bred using conventional rather than string them out just to up the chances of getting a heifer.

Latest posts