Question for Limousin breeders?

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter

Reaction score
As a long time user of Limi bulls on my cattle that have a little ear I have a question. Just replaced a old bull with a new fullblood, a son of Colarado 150, a old bloodline. Good epds, nice preformace stats Bw 90,WW 680, Yw 1200. I know the birth weight might be a tad high, but not that bad. Bull walks well and is very,dirt dog gentle. This bull was in a Limousin sale about 3 weeks ago and did not even recieve a bid..... I will try to get some pics up when the daughter comes home this weekend. Most of you commercial guys like myself would not be able to find anything wrong with this bull. Oh I forgot 38 cm scrotal at 12 months of age.... The knock the breeder told that these Limi breeders had on this bull, to much muscle. Give me a break, Limi breeders this one commercial guy that is gonna start looking at Charlois if you guys keep breeding bulls that look like steers.
So the question is this do you guys breed your cattle for commercial cattlemen or just for each other?

houstoncutter":2bg9sfgn said:
.... The knock the breeder told that these Limi breeders had on this bull, to much muscle. Give me a break, Limi breeders this one commercial guy that is gonna start looking at Charlois if you guys keep breeding bulls that look like steers.
So the question is this do you guys breed your cattle for commercial cattlemen or just for each other?

If he sires calves that are quarterhorse looking (real round muscled) then you will not find many friends or buyers at the sale barn. This can be a problem with real heavily muscled cattle.

Without an accurate EPD on birthweights, you can't be sure, but I think a visual appraisal of a heavily muscled bull might lead some to assume problems with calving. Do a search on the Pied breed and you will see that there are many that equate heavy muscle with calving difficulty. Boone

houstoncutter":189ksh07 said:
As a long time user of Limi bulls on my cattle that have a little ear I have a question. Just replaced a old bull with a new fullblood, a son of Colarado 150, a old bloodline. Good epds, nice preformace stats Bw 90,WW 680, Yw 1200. I know the birth weight might be a tad high, but not that bad. Bull walks well and is very,dirt dog gentle. This bull was in a Limousin sale about 3 weeks ago and did not even recieve a bid..... I will try to get some pics up when the daughter comes home this weekend. Most of you commercial guys like myself would not be able to find anything wrong with this bull. Oh I forgot 38 cm scrotal at 12 months of age.... The knock the breeder told that these Limi breeders had on this bull, to much muscle. Give me a break, Limi breeders this one commercial guy that is gonna start looking at Charlois if you guys keep breeding bulls that look like steers.

What color is he and is he polled? We go to a big limi bull sale in December most years. Buyers will discount a thick, red bull compared to a black one lots of times. If he's horned (or dehorned), they'll discount him even more. And these are commercial ranchers, many have been using limi bulls for years. That might be a regional thing, but it's been getting worse over the last five or so years that we've been going to the sale. I will say, though, that the black Limi bulls are better looking now than they were the first year we went. Breeders sticking with the red color sometimes really take a hit on the price they get for their bulls.

colarado 150 years ago was as good a bull as any ,he did have the bad rep. with some temperment problems,but the cattle were muscled good and calved easy i would use him.

From a purebred standpoint most breeders (even Fullblood) are breeding for polled. I have been to several registered sales where a horned bull wouldnt get many bids. Im my area I never get a call for a red horned bull.

We go to a big limi bull sale in December most years.

Frankie, which sale would that be please? I just went to the Magness sale.

The knock the breeder told that these Limi breeders had on this bull, to much muscle.

I havent seen a double muscled Limousin bull in years. If he is not double muscled I dont know what the knock would be. I would be more inclined to believe it would be the horns than too much muscle.

Circle H Ranch
http://www.chrlimousin.com

Thanks for the responses, wish I would have had a few more from Limi breeders. The bull is horned or I should say dehorned, he is not double muscled, but he does carry more muscle expression than most Limi bulls I see. Wish I could find 5 more like him. That type of bull on my Brangus or Bradford cross cows will hit the mark I am after. We have been retaining our calves the last few years and they have done well on the rail.

The bull is horned or I should say dehorned, he is not double muscled, but he does carry more muscle expression than most Limi bulls I see. Wish I could find 5 more like him.

Eastfield Farm in Shelbyville Tn always have some good Fullblood bulls. They have a sale or two every year. I know there are some good Fullblood breeders in Texas though that would be alot closer to you. Also they are having a big Limousin bull sale sometime in Dec. in southern Oklahoma. Expecting over 100 bulls but I havent seen a catalog yet. American Cattle Services is managing it I believe.

Circle H Ranch

Cattleman200":3chzi5wh said:
Also they are having a big Limousin bull sale sometime in Dec. in southern Oklahoma. Expecting over 100 bulls but I havent seen a catalog yet. American Cattle Services is managing it I believe.

Circle H Ranch

That's the one we go to, at Durant, OK, but I can't remember the name of it. It's usually the first Saturday in December.

I have seen that happen at more than one breed sale. I have always contended that breed sales were a great place for a commercial cattleman to pick up some good buys. Cattle that may be phenotypically correct, but for some reason aren't bred just right usually sell cheaper than they would at a commercial sale. As you know, some sales just go "cold".

To your question. The biggest part of my buyers are the commercial herds. They seem to like what we have, heifers are sold at weaning time and I don't normallly keep many bulls. It has to been an eye knocker not to get the knife. We just want to raise good cattle, not fads.

Glad to hear it, so do we. More purebred breeders should. It would improve vastly the quality of cattle of any breed. We have never sold a "herd" bull and don't really intend to. We just sell honest bulls to commercial cattlemen and stand behind them. It has worked for us for over 65 years and we haven't changed the type of cattle in all that time, we just keep on trying to raise better ones. Wonder how much shorter they are going to go in the show ring. Maybe there will be the "d" word back again.

It has taken several years for my children to understand the two worlds. The show world and the real world. Scanning the steers at the fairs has help them understand that. Usually the winners will not scan out very good.