Question for Larryshoat ..

Help Support CattleToday:

Alright RR. What's the issue here?

If your complaint is that I've suggested an off-label use you haven't a leg to stand on. Take a peek, you've suggested a newbie use a drug (Nuflor) off label (up to 14 days for navel ill): viewtopic.php?f=7&t=44794&p=504251#p504251 That makes you different from me how?

If your complaint is that I use drugs off-label, I don't really care what you think. I'm careful with my treated animals and I don't put meat or milk into the food chain from cattle that haven't passed a long enough withdrawal. Milk gets tested if I'm uncertain, animals going to slaughter I'll significantly extend the withdrawal or ask first if it's uncertain. Absolutely not a thing wrong with my practices.

If your complaint is that it changes the withdrawal time, so what? That wasn't the inital question HD asked and last time I checked HD isn't a newbie. If HD chooses to use Excede in a different route than what's written on the label I'm sure they're also capable of figuring out that the withdrawal could be different. Re-reading HD's post I don't see anything that even implies there's a concern over a withdrawal; the cows aren't getting shipped. In fact, one of them is "kind of a pet."

In the end it's about drug residues Milkmaid. You have to see that treating for a few days longer with the perscibed amount is vastly different than changing ways of administering or increasing cc/pound.
But you win.
And if you would notice most of my posts lately in herd health are "talk to your vet cause they are the ones going to perscribe the drugs". And that is for this very reason.
I am not a vet. I follow our vets recommendations. And i will go to a vet before here, not that the advice is bad here but that our vet knows our farm, and i trust our vet.
But I also know a warning when i see one and the warning on Excede is:

Residue Warnings
Following Label Use As A Single Treatment, A 13-day Preslaughter Withdrawal Period Is Required.
Following Label Use As A Single Treatment, No Milk Discard Period Is Required For This Product.
Use Of Dosages In Excess Of 6.6 Mg Ce/kg Or Administration By Unapproved Routes (subcutaneous Injection In The Neck Or Intramuscular Injection) May Cause Violative Residues.
A Withdrawal Period Has Not Been Established For This Product In Pre-ruminating Calves.
Do Not Use In Calves To Be Processed For Veal.

from Drugs.com, vet drugs, beef cows

Milk maid, you are young. Seeing the big pic is not something the younger generation (in any generation even my generation more than a few years ago) does. As you get older, you start to see the big picture. You realize that when you say something off the cuff, that others see it and could cause complications.

milkmaid":bsmlpxvm said:
I use Exceed SC or IM... as long as it gets in the animal it doesn't matter if it's in the ear or in the neck. (My vet's comment.) Been working fine for me when given SC so I see no need to change.

The problem is you see nothing wrong with this post. In this post you made no responsible mention of changed withdrawal times or residual warnings or that you only use it in cows that die on the farm, never get slaughtered. Or that a cow could die from changing the way it is given.
To anyone, they could infer that it's ok on calves, on feeders, and vet aproved cause MM's vet said it is ok, not to mention that MM wants to study vet medicine and is in school working towards it so she must know what she is talking about. No mention of dairy or beef. In the end we need to look at the big pic when offering advice.
When we give advice whether off the cuff or with a well thought out plan we need to act responsibly especially when dispensing drug advice.

If i have offended you, my sinerest apologies.
However we are in the business of feeding our countries. I stand by my stance of not changing the way drugs are administerd or the dosage. If it is labeled SQ/IM or in the ear, that is the way it must be done. If it says so many cc/pounds that has to be followed. If you need to increase the dose, you need a different drug.
Otherwise you change the variables in the game and could end up losing. .
This is why a while back, i changed from drug advice to "ask your vet" It is the responsible thing to do especially when dispesing drug advice.