Question for freezer beef sales

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
Is there a better time of year that sees a higher demand for freezer beef? I'm fall calving and plan on butchering at or around 24 months (Belties), so I will be looking for customers in the fall time frame.

I seem to get the most inquiries in spring, but have never really tracked it. I'm guessing it might have to do with people getting tax returns and maybe having a little extra money and also wanting steaks and burgers for the grilling season.

NonTypicalCPA said:
Is there a better time of year that sees a higher demand for freezer beef? I'm fall calving and plan on butchering at or around 24 months (Belties), so I will be looking for customers in the fall time frame.

Here most people butcher spring/summer time the local places here stay busy during hunting season and for big animals you have to make a appointment if they will even take them

In the past I've liked using Jan- April calves. Feed out approx. 12 months. On mommas milk in spring and hot summer with some creep. Wean in fall and really start pushing grain as the temps are coming down in Sept/Oct and there on out. In the winter they just eat and lay around, no flies, less energy burn, etc.; just watch em get FAT FAT FAT finishing on corn. Selling mid winter thru mid spring. Christmas presents, right ahead of spring grilling season, all kinds of good reasons IMO

Stocker Steve said:
We usually butcher in the early fall since that is when we make money at it. Early fall here is August and September.

I wish! The heat here doesn't start to break until October/November. Many times watching kids trick or treat sweating... :(

Latest posts