Question for Frankie and other Angus folks

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
OK......Early next month I intend to purchase my first couple of registered Gelbvieh heifers. My aim is to AI them to a top angus bull and create some registerable balancer calves. I don't have the heifers epd's in front of me but they were pretty well balanced with BW's below 1.5 on both and WW / YW at just above breed average. I want to breed to a calving ease bull but I also want the performance on growth. What bulls do ya'll suggest I look at? I have looked at S S Objective T510 0T26, Mytty In Focus, LCC New Standard and others but it all starts to run together so I want to ask those with experience with some of these bulls on some recomendations. :help: Thanks.

SAF Connection, one of the most underated bulls in the breed! After that, it would be B/R New Frontier 095 and B/R Future Direction 4268.

Sizmic

sizmic":1vuk5z4x said:
SAF Connection, one of the most underated bulls in the breed! After that, it would be B/R New Frontier 095 and B/R Future Direction 4268.

Sizmic

Have you used any 4268 with heifers? What do his calves generally weigh?

I have only calved 4268 on heifers. No problems yet, weights were from 56#'s-91#'s. Calving ease, for me, is more in the shape than in the weight. I've had so called light BW bulls throw some 100#er's.

4268 is a moderate BW bull, so is 095. If I had some heifers that I didn't want to worry about (meaning, breed them and forget them) I would use Connection! He is a very, very balanced bull.

Sizmic

Not sure exactly what you are trying to add with your bull selection. If you are wanting IMF&RE maybe look at GAR Predestined as well as FD 4268. SAV Final Answer will give you weight + phenotype, also very easy calving. Harb Pendelton is same. SAV Predominant is pretty good on larger heifers. I have been disappointed with the two Objective calves that I have. They were low BW but just don't look like they have enough muscle for me. I have a couple of Predestined calves and they look better than the Objective calves. I have seen Objective calves that looked good. My matings just didn't work out.

Here is my list of all-stars.

All are welcome to poke holes in my theories, since that is all they are.

Bon View New Design 878
* Sound EPD's across the board
* Highest EPD accuracy
bonviewnew878.jpg

Mytty in Focos
* Highly recognizable name
* increadible BW to WW spread
MyttyInFocus.jpg

H A Image Maker 0415
* Homozygous Genestar T1, T2, T3
* good length
* good BW:WW
HAImageMaker0415.jpg

Genetics By Design 049
* Genestar Superstar
* good BW:WW comparison
* Makes the ground around him turn white
GeneticsByDesign049.jpg

Cooley Menard 326S
* Genestar Superstar
CooleyMenard326S.jpg

I have two 878 daughters and they are nice cows, one of them is my avatar. I've heard several say they didn't like the calves they got out of In Focus. I want to try 049, definately a Genestar superstar, and a nice looking bull.

I'm not sure what constitutes a Genestar Superstar. What genes are you using to define 049 as a superstar? Also doesn't a lot of Image Makers have bad dispositions?

Used SAV Final Answer and SAV Pendleton (a Final Answer calf) this year on heifers. So far i am very pleased with the calving ease and they are really growing.

He(049) has 14 stars I believe, if I remember right. He has at least one star in every category, there have only been 22 angus that have been tested that have a star in every category. I would call that a superstar!

HOSS":1xnkezh7 said:
OK......Early next month I intend to purchase my first couple of registered Gelbvieh heifers. My aim is to AI them to a top angus bull and create some registerable balancer calves. I don't have the heifers epd's in front of me but they were pretty well balanced with BW's below 1.5 on both and WW / YW at just above breed average. I want to breed to a calving ease bull but I also want the performance on growth. What bulls do ya'll suggest I look at? I have looked at S S Objective T510 0T26, Mytty In Focus, LCC New Standard and others but it all starts to run together so I want to ask those with experience with some of these bulls on some recomendations. :help: Thanks.

In my opinion the Mytty In Focus is far above your best choice..Makes moderate framed deep large capacity cows....I went to a bull sale today- where the In Focus were definitely the best set of bulls in the sale...The Lead Ons were second-with good muscling- but they were bigger framed with not as much thickness...My experience with cows sired by both bulls are that they both pass on good quiet dispostions...

Here is an In Focus coming 1st calf daughter out of a Tehama Lite sired cow:

Cow08002.jpg

I like 878 calves. Our cattle aren't wild, but the 878s still stand out for their laid back disposition. Plus he's one of the top Angus bulls for producing Pathfinder daughters. If you're planning to keep females, he's certainly one to look at. My only knock on him is frame and that shouldn't be a concern with Gelbvieh heifers.

We bought a heifer bred to In Focus. That's been our only experience with him. The bull calf was up and around before she was. Small, easy birth, lots of vigor. Also a good disposition. We've been moving away from fall calving and only had two bull calves born in September. One is a New Level and the other the In Focus. The In Focus is thicker than the New Level, but their mommas are quite different, too. We never get the growth on fall born calves that we get with the spring ones, so I can't give you much on that from personal experience. His EPDs are certainly good. Accuracies are high.

I'd think either one of those would be a good choice. Another ABS bull you might want to look at is Morgans Direction. But probably the most proven calving ease bull in the Angus breed is the ABS bull PFred.

And keep in mind that you'll get some heterosis effect in your birthweights that we don't deal with. Good luck and welcome to the Angus breed. :)

Thanks for all the input everyone. Right now I am leaning toward the Mytty In Focus bull just based off his overall numbers. I have only seen one pic of him and it looked like he was a little weak in the top line but not much. Has anyone seen a trend in weak top lines out of his offspring?

HOSS":1hsqz2qm said:

I dont have much experience with Angus but I seen a sale the other day on RFD TV and they had mytty in focus calves. They were very impressive looking. I looked mytty up and he looks to be one heck of a bull. Low birthweight with explosive performance and has good epd's. If I had to pick one of the aforementioned I would pick mytty in focus.

I agree with Sizmic. I would use SAF Connection. Good growth, low BW, all the convience traits we tend to forget about, Disposition (#4 bull in the breed on the new disposition EPD), feet, legs, fertility, udders. Plus he has no 1680 genetics in him.

In Focus cattle tend have alittle sheath, otherwise very good cattle. The Pfred calves I have seen look like calves out of heifers (even though they werent) no thickness or volume to them. I personally cant say anything but good things about 878 as well.

jscunn":2qyijz09 said:
I agree with Sizmic. I would use SAF Connection. Good growth, low BW, all the convience traits we tend to forget about, Disposition (#4 bull in the breed on the new disposition EPD), feet, legs, fertility, udders. Plus he has no 1680 genetics in him.

In Focus cattle tend have alittle sheath, otherwise very good cattle. The Pfred calves I have seen look like calves out of heifers (even though they werent) no thickness or volume to them. I personally cant say anything but good things about 878 as well.

Really my neighbor has bought his last two angus bulls that were out of 878 and has had disposition problems out of both.

I have never used any of the sires you are looking at and it also has been several years since I have bred any Gelbvieh. Not sure if they are black gelbvieh or red. The last I new the quality was not quite there yet in the blacks. The Gelbvieh I had didn't seem to grade very well. So maybe Objective might fit your bill, I just didn't like his looks. Also my experience was that Gelbvieh were heavy milkers. In my opinion I would be careful about over doing the milk. "In Focus" milk epd is to high for me, not sure if it would create a problem. New Standard's sire was 1407, which I have heard can have udder and teat problems. Can't verify that myself but I thats the info I have received. What type of pedigrees are in your heifers, what is their strengths and weaknesses.

Horseless":jfki1ijt said:
I have never used any of the sires you are looking at and it also has been several years since I have bred any Gelbvieh. Not sure if they are black gelbvieh or red. The last I new the quality was not quite there yet in the blacks. The Gelbvieh I had didn't seem to grade very well. So maybe Objective might fit your bill, I just didn't like his looks. Also my experience was that Gelbvieh were heavy milkers. In my opinion I would be careful about over doing the milk. "In Focus" milk epd is to high for me, not sure if it would create a problem. New Standard's sire was 1407, which I have heard can have udder and teat problems. Can't verify that myself but I thats the info I have received. What type of pedigrees are in your heifers, what is their strengths and weaknesses.

Horseless--I have to agree with you about milk EPD on In Focus...He is not a bull I would use either and is too much "bigger, better, faster" on all his EPD's for my liking- as is all the bulls Hoss mentioned....

This heifer my son bought- Galpin Miss In Focus 767 Reg: 15840504 -isn't too bad on EPD's-with her +20 Milk being over what I usually like- is barely a 5 frame (if that even)- and so far seems to be an easy keeper...Have to see how she does after calving and raising a calf...She is bred to N Bar Prime Time D806- and I'm anxious to see what the calf is like...
Cow08002.jpg

Latest posts