Question about what to do

Help Support CattleToday:

txfbc

Reaction score
Have a question for which I would like the opinion of those on this board. My grandmother just passed away few weeks ago. I am in charge of all animals on our place. Some of her children want to sell all the cows now and be done with it. I have my opinion. Here are the details. Small herd (14 total), have plenty of good hay and water. Only expense will be cubes, minerals, etc this winter.

My question is would you sell now or wait until later (spring or maybe next fall)?

Thanks,
Jeff

I'd be inclined to keep them over the winter. You'd have to sell the hay anyway, and the markets aren't very good for cows right now. Depends who has to take care of them and how much trouble it will be. Call a local sale barn to get a local's opinion.

txfbc":iv22s0vf said:
Have a question for which I would like the opinion of those on this board. My grandmother just passed away few weeks ago. I am in charge of all animals on our place. Some of her children want to sell all the cows now and be done with it. I have my opinion. Here are the details. Small herd (14 total), have plenty of good hay and water. Only expense will be cubes, minerals, etc this winter.

My question is would you sell now or wait until later (spring or maybe next fall)?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff - sorry to hear about your grandmother. First things first on the estate. Was their a Will? Is there an Executor appointed in the Will? If so, then see if there is are any stipulations/directions in the Will as to the estate/cattle/land etc. The estate would need to be probated according to the state laws in which it was drawn. When it get's to the point of deciding on the disposition of the cattle/land, sometimes it is best just to sell off so everyone can be happy and use the funds however they want. You could opt to use your funds to buy their share of cattle/land from them possibly. Just my two cents worth!

txfbc":3go8h201 said:
Some of her children want to sell all the cows now and be done with it.

What they probably mean is for you to sell the cows and give them the money.

Check the will and see what the requirements are and proceed accordingly.

Watch out for the wolves.........

grannysoo":2emjqpta said:
txfbc":2emjqpta said:
Some of her children want to sell all the cows now and be done with it.

What they probably mean is for you to sell the cows and give them the money.

Check the will and see what the requirements are and proceed accordingly.

Watch out for the wolves.........

Good advice from grannysoo. If there is a will, it should be carried out. If not, then the children need to get together and come up with an amicable agreement, if that is possible.
The best option would be to hold them over until spring.

Well read the will first (if there is one); but my gut reaction is to sell NOW. This is 14 head NOT 240, they are not going to be worth a whole heck of a lot more than they are now, you won't incur the cost of wintering, you are going to divide the money multiple ways thus the profit from wintering per share is going to be a little dinky and them that want the money NOW!!! are going to get madder and madder the longer you make them wait and they will p*ss everybody else off over these next few months. A few bucks profit isn't really worth starting a feud that will likely last forever. I will admit that I am crooked enough to swap a couple of your culls for a couple of her best cows when I shipped them (if you can get away with that); but do what you can live with.

I am assuming the proceeds are to be split amongst the children? And I understand you are a grand child? If so, do what the children want to do and be done with it. If you want the cows, make them an offer. All they can do is say no.

Don't get in the middle of a conflict over this. The decisions are not yours to make. Offer the best advice you can give if asked.

Prepare yourself for a lesson on relatives and money. Look out for yourself, best of luck.
Tom.

txfbc":25e4iv18 said:

Thanks,
Jeff

Sorry for your loss.

Your Grandmother died.

You are in charge of the animals - on OUR place.

So - does this mean you own the place now? Your Grandmother owned the animals? She owned the pace? Our place? What does that mean?

In fact your post leaves me far too many questions for me to give you an answer.

But in fact it sounds like another CT - owner dies - and no one knows who will own anything horror story in the making.

14 cows of varying degrees of worth.

Most you will get - for my best guess is 14,000 and that is if you are well and truly - incredibly lucky.

Or you own some fancy show stock.

Registered means nothing my friend - sorry they all basically go at the same price.

More likely less than half of that.

So the wolves gather and you do not know what to do?

Sure as hhell do not bother to feed them - you will get no thanks or money for your efforts. And why should you do this - cows can be bought and sold anywhere at any time - but if you do feed them, you will be the person to lose. And you will always be the one who "did not sell when the price was right".

Not highest or lowest - just "right".

Toss them and put the money aside.

Then find out who the hhell actually has control.

Lawyer up and read the darned will - fast!!

Truly wish you the best of luck because the wolves are already circling. They always come softly and then they pack up. The take down is usually pretty dramatic.

I will think good thoughts for you.

For others - I continue to say this - if you have grey hair and more than one kid - get your dammed plans sorted out - or it all goes away when you die - and the family starts to fight - softly at first and then it gets worse. You have a responsibility - even after you are dead -and some day you WILL be dead.

Fix it now and keep the family together.

Got the T-shirt myself and this is the second example of a problem in the works - this week!

Regards

Bez+

Bez+":v8nfu9o1 said:
txfbc":v8nfu9o1 said:

Thanks,
Jeff

Sorry for your loss.

Your Grandmother died.

You are in charge of the animals - on OUR place.

So - does this mean you own the place now? Your Grandmother owned the animals? She owned the pace? Our place? What does that mean?

In fact your post leaves me far too many questions for me to give you an answer.

But in fact it sounds like another CT - owner dies - and no one knows who will own anything horror story in the making.

14 cows of varying degrees of worth.

Most you will get - for my best guess is 14,000 and that is if you are well and truly - incredibly lucky.

Or you own some fancy show stock.

Registered means nothing my friend - sorry they all basically go at the same price.

More likely less than half of that.

So the wolves gather and you do not know what to do?

Sure as hhell do not bother to feed them - you will get no thanks or money for your efforts. And why should you do this - cows can be bought and sold anywhere at any time - but if you do feed them, you will be the person to lose. And you will always be the one who "did not sell when the price was right".

Not highest or lowest - just "right".

Toss them and put the money aside.

Then find out who the hhell actually has control.

Lawyer up and read the darned will - fast!!

Truly wish you the best of luck because the wolves are already circling. They always come softly and then they pack up. The take down is usually pretty dramatic.

I will think good thoughts for you.

For others - I continue to say this - if you have grey hair and more than one kid - get your dammed plans sorted out - or it all goes away when you die - and the family starts to fight - softly at first and then it gets worse. You have a responsibility - even after you are dead -and some day you WILL be dead.

Fix it now and keep the family together.

Got the T-shirt myself and this is the second example of a problem in the works - this week!

Regards

Bez+

:clap: What Bez+ said.

Jeff, just dealt with a very similar situation. Without a lot of detail, I wanted to cull but keep the best cattle. My second choice was to hold them until spring.
Another party was insistent on selling them right away. I was, and still am, beat down, wore down, and give out from dealing with other factors. It was just too much hassle to get in an argument about it.
So the cattle were sold.

Thanks for all the replies. To clarify a little more...My parents own some of the land, my grandparents owned the rest. I live there, grandparents lived there. I inherited the work when grandad passed 6 yrs ago (fine with me, I like doing it). The cows belong to me (2), parents(5), and grandmother(7). Her oldest son is executor of the estate, there is a will. He has meet with the lawyer (I don't know what will actually says yet as far as cows are concerned). None of her kids want to buy the place except for my parents (possibly). It is going to be fun when they all get together to discuss stuff.

Again, thanks for all the replies guys..appreciate it

Jeff

I hate this; but if I were your parents without being rude or saying an unkind word to anyone I would lawyer up yesterday and I certainly want my attorney to see that will pronto!!

Latest posts