question about this pic???

Help Support CattleToday:

Mbell97

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was doing some work in the back of my parents place and came across a very small patch of this stuff below. I am not sure that is clover but I think it is from what I have researched. My next question is what is it and if it is clover when will the seed be ready? What will the seeds look like when the seeds are ready? thanks a lot.

ok guys can i email someone my two pics and have you post them on this thread??? I have no idea what I am doing wrong, they are only 347kb each so that shouldn't be too big. any help would be great, and I would really appreciate it!

Ok well i tried following the directions 1982vett but it says in big red letters at the top "could not upload attachment to ......" Thanks for the help anyway vett!!!!

You have to register at Ranchers.net to use this photo link. You cannot attach a photo directly from your computer. It has to be stored online somewhere.
If you have an online photo account elsewhere (photobucket is a popular one CT posters use) you can skip to line 5.

5. Go to the forum where you want to post your picture. There will be several little yellow boxes at the top of the page. The boxes contail the following: "B" for bold, i for italics, u for underline and so on. There will be one box that has "Img". When you are ready to post your picture click the "Img" then paste your picture (CNTL V) and follow with another "Img" and your done.

ok lets try this again!!! Thanks for your help vet!
clover1.JPG
clover2.JPG

That is an arrowleaf clover........Best guess right now on variety is Yucchi. From the looks it has just started blooming so about 4 more weeks or so till the seed heads ripen. They will turn brown and dry. Here in Central Texas the heat has already started the ripening process. Looks like you must be farther north? or at least have been getting some rain...

Awesome info Vet! Thank you!! A couple of questions, How good of grade is this type of clover? How long does it last for cattle to eat into the summer if it has plenty of water? Is each one of the "FLowers" a seed or when it "dries out" does one "flower" turn into many seeds? Thanks again, tons of help! I am in Montague county (8 minutes from the red river) so yes pretty north and yes we have gotten a LOT of rain!

Clovers make good forage. Should be less than 50% in the grazing mix to avoid problems with bloat. The amount of grazing you get will depend on your management goals. If you want it to reseed heavily, you need to keep the cattle off starting about now till the seed heads dry, at which time the Texas weather will have taken its toll on the clover plant also. If you continue to graze it should still be able to make some seed but will probably be a bit thin and may need a little reseeding for the next year. Probably will depend on grazing management as to it making adequate seed. Arrowleaf clover flower heads will contain many seeds. They will be about the size of radish or mustard seed.

Here is a link to some information from OKState
http://forage.okstate.edu/text/arrowlea ... escription

Bad photo but I took only this one so will have to make do. You should be able to see a "row" of white seed pods. On the upperside in the red circle, you should be able to see a green seed that rolled out of a pod.
005_Labled.jpg

This is some that hasn't been grazed since late early April.
00312.JPG

0067.JPG

This is some that gets grazed pretty regularly. It is a "hub" pasture between several rotational pastures. It is grazed short but the clover is still able to produce some seed. This is all Apache Arrowleaf Clover and is several weeks farther along in maturity than yours.
0096.JPG

Sure could use some of your moisture. We have only had about 3.25 inches since the end of March and it shows.

Latest posts