Question about selling cows at the market

Help Support CattleToday:

j&lfarms

Reaction score
Okay so here's the deal.... I bought a cow at the stockyards last Friday. She seemed pretty calm and I thought she would workout so I went ahead and wormed her gave her a blackleg and a vira-shield shot. She started acting funny the other day and now tries to chase me out of the field as soon as I open the gate. I know that the wormer and shots has a 30-45 day withdrawal period. Am I stuck with this cow until then or can I sell her by the dollar at the stockyard?

What do y'all suggest I do with her?

I know most will say no I wouldn't take her to the market till that period is over... I will be following this posts.

Why not ask the sales barn, or do you not wanting him to know you got a wild thing?

I always honor the withdrawal time. Around here, it would take her that long, or longer to be slaughtered though. I still respect the label though.

j&lfarms":w8zw871w said:
Okay so here's the deal.... I bought a cow at the stockyards last Friday. She seemed pretty calm and I thought she would workout so I went ahead and wormed her gave her a blackleg and a vira-shield shot. She started acting funny the other day and now tries to chase me out of the field as soon as I open the gate. I know that the wormer and shots has a 30-45 day withdrawal period. Am I stuck with this cow until then or can I sell her by the dollar at the stockyard?

Call her bluff.

You have done pizzed her off! I say that you take her some (edible) flowers and a bucket of grain and try to make peace with her for the next 45 days. :pretty:

Since you really need to wait, why don't you? There is a good chance she will settle down in a couple of weeks anyway. If she is not going over the fence, just avoid her.

I bought one a few weeks back that tried to kill the kid at the sale barn that helped get her loaded. I was scared enough of her that I put off the worming, tagging and vacs and just dumped her out in the field with the others. It took a month or so and she is still flighty but she now comes up with the others when I feed and doesn't have that skitso look in her eyes. I can comfortably get within 10 yards of her. She had a nice heifer calf last week.

Don't get your self hurt. Just wait until you catch the rest of your cows and then cut her off and sell at that time if things haven't improved.

bird dog":tor77n7f said:
Since you really need to wait, why don't you? There is a good chance she will settle down in a couple of weeks anyway. If she is not going over the fence, just avoid her.

I bought one a few weeks back that tried to kill the kid at the sale barn that helped get her loaded. I was scared enough of her that I put off the worming, tagging and vacs and just dumped her out in the field with the others. It took a month or so and she is still flighty but she now comes up with the others when I feed and doesn't have that skitso look in her eyes. I can comfortably get within 10 yards of her. She had a nice heifer calf last week.

Don't get your self hurt. Just wait until you catch the rest of your cows and then cut her off and sell at that time if things haven't improved.

X2 Treat her like a queen and see if she settles in. When withdrawal period passes can make a decision what to do with her. Packer cow market is usually higher in Feb and March.

I'm like bird dog. Give her time. It's a lot to ask to buy a single cow, run her through a chute first thing and poke her, turn her out and then expect her to be settled in well enough to act like she's at home. Just give her time and she'll get easier to deal with.
You also don't know her history. She may come from somewhere where people on foot are trespassers but people on horseback are OK... She would need some time to figure out how you work your cows but once she does you'll see who she really is.
I would bet you have a 70% chance of her being easy enough to get along with once you get her settled in. If she can be worked quietly at the sale yard then she can work quietly for you once she figures out how everything works.

cow pollinater":27q9x5qh said:
If she can be worked quietly at the sale yard then she can work quietly for you once she figures out how everything works.
Ain;t alwasy so. A cow that has been tranqed to go to the salebarn won;t usually settle down. That was the reason she was tranqed. Bought one like that one time.

I got a cousin that bought a horse once that had been tranqed. The last time he ever saw it was when he opened the trailer door at home. He ran across the pasture, jumped the fence and was never seen again. I sang Jerry Reeds "the bird" song to him every time I saw him till he threatened to shoot me. The cow might not calm down, but a bucket of feed every couple days can work wonders with a cows dispisition.

Bigfoot":1dnkzjtw said:
I always honor the withdrawal time. Around here, it would take her that long, or longer to be slaughtered though. I still respect the label though.
I was always told most of the slaughter cows sold around here are slaughtered within 3-5 days.

j&lfarms":2jlnw6e4 said:

The Vira-Shield we use has a 60 day withdrawal. If you could be sure she went to another farm selling her would be ok, but dollars cows are also sent to slaughter.

If it was a younger animal that would go on feed, I would (and have) shipped with a 'W' painted on both hips and a note sent along.

But a cow, especially a psycho, is likely to be burger within a couple weeks after the sale, so better hold on to her until the withdrawal date.

Some don't do to well with sale barns. She may settle down but will probably never be a baby. You still need to hold her until the withdrawal times are over and you will know buy then.

I asked the local sale barn about it last year they told me that if I sell the cow and the meds show up on the blood work that it will come back on me. They also told me since we are close to a processing plant a lot of cows are killed that night or in the morning. I didn't ask what the penalty was but I would guess you would at least have to refund the money for the cow. Just hold on to her and see if she calms down if not ship her.

Latest posts