Question about sale catalog

Help Support CattleToday:

LimousinGirl

Reaction score
Okay, this is probablly gonna sound like a really silly question but I've tried to figure this one out and just can't get it. I've been looking through a bull sale "catalog" that I'm planning to attend, and there's over 500 bulls selling and LOTS of them say by them that they are "Selling 1/2 Semen Interest and 1/2 possession" or "Selling 2/3 Semen Interest and Full Possession"
Can somebody tell me what this means?! :) :dunce:
Thank ya!
LG

My understanding is 1/2 semen interest is what ever you bid for the animal only gets you 1/2 of the yearly possession of the animal and 1/2 of the revenue of any semen royalties, if the bull is collected. Like wise the 2/3 is just that 2/3 of the bull semen royalties but you have year round possession of the bull but must make him available for semen collection.
Sometimes it is a way for someone to get better genetics for a reasonable dollar investment but essentially you are buying into a partnership arrangement on the one bull. Something you might want to check into further before you make the decision to buy. Maybe someone else has different insights but that is the way I have found it to be. Good Luck

Okay, maybe I see. So the one I REALLY want says Selling 2/3 Semen Interest and Full Possession so this means he would be ours but if they want to come collect semen they can??? :???: I think I still confused...a little slow today. :lol:

LimousinGirl":2le7n40w said:
I think I still confused...a little slow today. :lol:

Big Friday night?
If you have possession, you are feeding the bull. No small item.
What income procedes from each option. That seems like the key. Etc, etc.

Usually the arrangements are that you and the other owner decide on a "Stud Farm" which will collect the semen and you make arrangements to deliver the bull to the farm and you split the cost on the collection according to your ownership percentage. The collection and storage costs can add up but not significant if the semen is salable but an extra cost if you do not have a use for the semen. As John 250 says with full possession you have all the liabilities of 100% ownership but will be giving away 1/3 of any semen revenews. Not necessarily a bad scenario but something you need to be aware of before you buy. Ask the sale manager for any particulars to be safe.

Okay, thanks guys, I *think* I got it now. :)

john250":3b3yq18x said:
Big Friday night?

Lol, yeah I guess...stayed up pretty late watching that movie FIREPROOF, maybe that's why I'm so forgetful today, I got so mad at myself...ya see, I was planning to go to the 14th annual reenactment of the Battle Of Round Mountain, never been before, it wasn't too far away and I've been looking forward to it for weeks specially 'cause I LOVE stuff about the Civil War. So I reminded myself yesterday that it was today...and yeah, about 3:30 this afternoon it suddenly hit me that I had totally PLUMB FORGOT about going--it was already over. :x :( :cry: My brother wanted to go to, and HE forgot!
So now you know that I'm slow today...I guess I can laugh about it now but I really felt like slamming my head against the wall...hard :lol:

Anyway, thanks for answering my question! :D

LG

LimousinGirl":39107xs7 said:
Okay, this is probablly gonna sound like a really silly question but I've tried to figure this one out and just can't get it. I've been looking through a bull sale "catalog" that I'm planning to attend, and there's over 500 bulls selling and LOTS of them say by them that they are "Selling 1/2 Semen Interest and 1/2 possession" or "Selling 2/3 Semen Interest and Full Possession"
Can somebody tell me what this means?! :) :dunce:
Thank ya!
LG

You'll have to ask for specifics. What we generally see is that "2/3 semen interest and full posession" means the bull is yours to use however you want and salvage value is yours. But they reserve the right to collect him at a date convenient to you and you get 2/3 of the income from semen sales. But you'll have to specifically ask who bears the semen collection/marketing costs.

"1/2 semen interest and 1/2 posession" usually menas you share the bull with someone else. One gets him for spring breeding; the other for fall. Again, you'll have to do your research as to the costs of collecting and marketing.

Frankie":2cn4yplv said:
You'll have to ask for specifics. What we generally see is that "2/3 semen interest and full posession" means the bull is yours to use however you want and salvage value is yours. But they reserve the right to collect him at a date convenient to you and you get 2/3 of the income from semen sales. But you'll have to specifically ask who bears the semen collection/marketing costs.

"1/2 semen interest and 1/2 posession" usually menas you share the bull with someone else. One gets him for spring breeding; the other for fall. Again, you'll have to do your research as to the costs of collecting and marketing.

Thanks Frankie. So if they want to collect him would WE have to pay anything? Or should I ask the Express people that.

LimousinGirl":6082nja7 said:
Frankie":6082nja7 said:

Thanks Frankie. So if they want to collect him would WE have to pay anything? Or should I ask the Express people that.

I would ask Express about that because I own a bull that the breeder kept 1/2 semen interest in and I get full possesion and 1/2 semen if we collect him they pay all collection cost and I have the option to get 1/2 semen

Angus Cowman":223u05h3 said:
LimousinGirl":223u05h3 said:
Frankie":223u05h3 said:

I would ask Express about that because I own a bull that the breeder kept 1/2 semen interest in and I get full possesion and 1/2 semen if we collect him they pay all collection cost and I have the option to get 1/2 semen

Okay, I'll probablly get my brother to ask. :) Have YOU liked the 1/2 semen interest thing?

You just need to ask someone from Express. You need to be sure you understand your responsibilities before you raise your hand and bid.

LimousinGirl":ca0wt0kv said:
Okay, maybe I see. So the one I REALLY want says Selling 2/3 Semen Interest and Full Possession so this means he would be ours but if they want to come collect semen they can??? :???: I think I still confused...a little slow today. :lol:

Over here, the vendor is supposed to collect the bull prior to sale. If not, then collection is to be arranged at a time suitable to you as the current owner of the animal. Unless you are going to keep some of that semen yourself, they pay the costs for this to happen.

I think the possession question has already been answered.

This is how I think the retained semen intrest works.You will own the bull and have full salvage value(he gets old and goes to the sale barn you keep all the money).You can collect the bull and use him in your herd,but if you go and sell semen you will have to give Ex their share.Same goes for Ex,If they sell semen on the bull they owe you.I didn't keep the sale book are they keeping a semen interest in all the bulls or just a few?

If you are looking at a bull that they are keeping an intrest in in other than a semen intrest you need to call and talk to them before you buy.

Unless Ex state that they are retaining full or part marketing rights, you are the only person who can sell semen in the bull.

EAT BEEF":qbsos4ou said:
This is how I think the retained semen intrest works.You will own the bull and have full salvage value(he gets old and goes to the sale barn you keep all the money).You can collect the bull and use him in your herd,but if you go and sell semen you will have to give Ex their share.Same goes for Ex,If they sell semen on the bull they owe you.I didn't keep the sale book are they keeping a semen interest in all the bulls or just a few?

If you are looking at a bull that they are keeping an intrest in in other than a semen intrest you need to call and talk to them before you buy.

Thanks Eat Beef. They weren't keeping semen interest on all the bulls, but more then a few--probablly say 30 or more. They were only keeping semen interest in the one I want.

Killala":qbsos4ou said:
Unless Ex state that they are retaining full or part marketing rights, you are the only person who can sell semen in the bull.

Ahh, I see. I read no where that said there were retaining full or part marketing rights. Thanks guys. :D

I've never heard of anyone selling "marketing rights" here in the US. Cattlemen in Australia may use different terms. You need to check with the seller, but as far as I know, if you own a semen interest in the bull you can sell semen.

A lot of people will retain a semen share for in herd use only- so you should contact them and clarify what they mean.

Latest posts