Question about my 2 1/2 month old calf

Help Support CattleToday:

crazycritters

Reaction score
Hi all...I have a question maybe someone might know the answer to. I have a two and a half month old calf that we bought at auction...he isn't our first. About a week ago he got real "weak" on us.....has a great appetite and when he is up on his feet he walks and jogs and seems perfectly fine. But when he lays down to rest, he can't get back up on his own. He had diarreah when this all began, but with some immediate penecilin, that cleared up almost immediately and his stool is formed again. Our vet doesn't deal with calves until they are 4 months old unless it is a life and death situation.
He seems to be improving...becoming alert again and physically looking better, but he still needs us to lift him to his feet. Right now he is living on my front porch...we have a huge enclosed porch...and no there isn't anything he can get into out there....In fact it isn't uncommon to find farm animals greeting you at the screen door...you should see some of the expressions from pizza guys or the UPS people!
So, if anyone has any ideas of what his problem may be, I am open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Thanks!
Bobbie

What are you feeding him, how much, and how often? Secondly, you might consider getting him off your porch and putting him in a pen that is big enough to allow him to run, buck, play, and be a calf - plus will provide him with some fresh air and sunshine.

Try giving him some syrup mixed with water. Peanut butter will help give them strength also. A shot of B vitamins wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks for all the ideas......and just for the record...lol, Chewely doesn't live on my porch.....we have a barn and a pasture...Just when I get an animal that has any ailment, I like them up on the porch where I can monitor them on a constant basis.
I will definately try the peanut butter and syrup...
He gets Blue Max once a day and he is eating feed....free range hay and grass.
I guess he would weigh between 150/200 pounds.

Oh, and no...no fevers or any other problems besides not having enough "uumph" to get his front end up...I tried adding an iron suppliment to his diet last night and that seems to give him more of a trying attitude to get up.

Vitamins are good...they really, really are. Try some with A and E and D and B, maybe some C, and whatever else...etc.

Alice

Latest posts