question about hanging weight prices.

Help Support CattleToday:

kcschob

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here and I've searched everywhere and can't find an answer..I'm hoping you might be able to help.
First off a little background.
My husband and myself own a farm in Wisconsin, we have beef cattle, and grow corn, beans, oats and hay. The farm had always been run by my father in law but this last year my husband and I took over the farm.
Okay, so on to the question.
We sold a beef to friends, The friends we sold to are responsible for paying their own processing. I know we need to charge them for the hanging weight of the beef. But how do I find out what hanging weight is for beef is per pound. I thought there might be a website that tells what the daily rate is or something like that, but I've been looking all morning and can't find anything. I'd also like to have the site for future reference.
Thank you.

I'd be careful if I were you.

Can you really quarter an animal on the farm and then take it to the butcher to process and legally sell it?

As for the HW price, why not just figure out what your usual yield is versus liveweight and then charge back from there. There are lots of newspapers with sales prices for finished steers.

But if it were me, I'd charge more!

Around here hanging weight goes for $1.75/lb. If you look at posts from other people or places they charge a lot more.

I would call the butcher and find out what they are charging. That will give you the local price.

Latest posts