Question about goats

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
We have four goats. They showed up yesterday afternoon, just walked into the shop like they were invited! Two of them have leather collars, no ID, though. A friend says they're Boer goats. There's a young larger female and three smaller ones. They're mostly white with brown or black heads.

Don't want them. They ate the bird feed, they nibbled at the flowerbeds, they climbed on trailers (car's in the garage). The dog doesn't like them. They try to eat his food. Our open heifers are facinated with them. I've contacted the neighbors within a mile. My question is how far should I be looking to find their home? How far do you think they could wander in a day? I'd think the coyotes would have had them for dinner if they'd been out overnight?

Just make what YOU consider a reasonable effort and then do what you have to do. Goats are a pain in the rear especially when running loose and unwanted. Coyotes can and will probably get the smaller ones and maybe even the larger ones. For whatever it's worth, those boer goats are pretty darn good eating. ;-)

Turn them in with the cows - all will be well once they sort out the "who is who in the zoo"

I had goat for lunch today - excellent

They reproduce like mad - soon you can have a small flock - combined with cows you will have your first "flerd"

Have fun

[Bez]

TexasBred":2mo24t4v said:
Just make what YOU consider a reasonable effort and then do what you have to do. Goats are a pain in the rear especially when running loose and unwanted. Coyotes can and will probably get the smaller ones and maybe even the larger ones. For whatever it's worth, those boer goats are pretty darn good eating. ;-)
especially Barbequed

alacattleman":2lry2gux said:
TexasBred":2lry2gux said:
especially Barbequed

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Dixieangus":30zq01oo said:
do as good as you can on finding the owner if you cant and dont want them take them to the sale barn theyll sell em
there mexicans out there that'll pay good money for em, and you never leave the house...

alacattleman":j7ygf40i said:
Dixieangus":j7ygf40i said:
do as good as you can on finding the owner if you cant and dont want them take them to the sale barn theyll sell em
there mexicans out there that'll pay good money for em, and you never leave the house...

Mexicans hale...everybody likes goat once they've eaten it fixed right. The muslims will even buy a "pure one" during certain holidays to sacrifice. (Or is it a sheep)???? 'bout all they're good for anyway. :roll:

TexasBred":3tll6zbq said:
alacattleman":3tll6zbq said:
Dixieangus":3tll6zbq said:

Mexicans hale...everybody likes goat once they've eaten it fixed right. The muslims will even buy a "pure one" during certain holidays to sacrifice. (Or is it a sheep)???? 'bout all they're good for anyway. :roll:
i bet they'll play heL3 finding a pure one in tenneesee.. most have been defiled by the local infidales

I would call the local sheriff's department. Find out what you can do legally. You don't want to find out the hard way the owner wants a premium for those goats. I would also isolate them as you have no idea what they may be bringing in with them, health wise.

Yea! The goat's grandpa showed up. Well, not exactly the goat's grandpa. They are a neighbors grandson's goats and the kid was really upset. His goats disappeared and his favorite hog dog got hurt on Thanksgiving Day. So he'll be glad to get the goats back; and we'll be glad for them to be gone.

Avalon":1vbg7w4t said:
Good for you and good for the Kid (I mean the human one)

Grandpa was relieved to get them back. He said one of them was a show goat. He had over $400 tied up in it for his grandson to show and breed. I have to admit that they all looked about the same to me. The show goat did have a black head, though, where all the others had brown heads. Is black taking over the goat show ring, too? :lol:

Latest posts