Question about feeding lactating cows

Help Support CattleToday:

ranchmom77

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Our herd came out of weaning last fall pretty pulled down, so we gave them some extra feed to get their condition up before calving. Most of them have come back wonderfully, but I don't want that again this year. DH and his dad never really paid much attention to feed and quality, they just fed them 30lbs a head year round (except may - oct when they are out on pasture).
I've explained to them that lactating cows need more to eat than a dry cow.. they know this but they're concerned about stretching the hay as far as possible in case of another dry year (which seems to be the case but I'm still optomistic). I say what's the point of raising calves if we're not going to give their mothers enough to eat to make good milk to grow good calves. Seems pointless to me.. anyways.. :bang: sorry.. just a bit of a rant.
I've looked up as much info as I can on the net and read a bunch of books, but I can't seem to get a solid answer for exactly how much a lactating beef cow needs to eat.. assuming the feed is a good grass/alfalfa mix. I sent our hay out to be tested last week but am still waiting on the results. I intend to go in and talk with a nutritionist to get the optimum feeding program figured out, but while I'm waiting I was wondering how much you all feed your lactating cows.
I've read that a dry cow will eat 2.5% of her body weight in dry matter per day to maintain weight. This is where DH got the 30 lbs a day figure assuming ours are 1200 lb cows. The same article stated that a lactating cow will eat will eat 2x that amount, which makes it 60 lbs a day. That seems like a lot!
Another article stated that a lactating cow will eat 3.5% - 4% of her body weight. That same 1200 lb cow will then get 42 - 48 lbs a day. That's a little better, but DH says that's too much.
Any thoughts?? :help:
Thank you!!

Sounds like they believe the impossible,that you can starve a profit out of a cow. Trust me, you can't

Have you thought about creep feeding your calves ? Might be an option if you are short of feed for the cows and want to scrimp on hay . I am sure your cows are getting all the hay that is put out and their calves are getting none to very little . They will need much more milk to sustain them which in turn will pull the cows down .

You mention cows but what does your DH figure in for growing calves to eat each day ? There are so many variables that come into play when it comes to feeding cattle that to get h@ll bent on just way is counter productive .

Good for you getting a feed analysis done , once you get that back and talk to the nutritionist you can go "armed with the a lot of good info" when you discuss your new feed plan with your husband. :tiphat:

dun":bu6hk6ol said:
Sounds like they believe the impossible,that you can starve a profit out of a cow. Trust me, you can't
Can't feed profit into a cow either. There's a balance in the middle and it starts with genetics.

hooknline":1ha24vqo said:
dun":1ha24vqo said:
Can't feed profit into a cow either. There's a balance in the middle and it starts with genetics.

You have a h@ll of a better outcome if you give the cow a fighting chance by feeding her properly to begin with though . I don't care how great genetics are , if you are starving your cattle you will pay for it in the end . Be it dinky bottom of the barrel calves or not breeding back on time if at all.

This is really bugging me! If they are sucking down so far that from weaning till calving they can;t regain their condition the feed program is out of wack. Could be the nursing time frame or the post weaning time frame or BOTH. Like anything else in this business robbing peter to pay paul just doesn;t work. Inadequate nutrition in the long run shortens the productive life of the cow, compromises the calfs growth and will lead to health issues in the long run.

Thanks guys.. I was starting to think I was crazy.. lol
Yes Hook, genetics is another route I'm currently pushing on them now. Our herd is Angus and they've been breeding to Angus bulls for years. We started AI'ing heifers last year (did 20 with a 70% success rate) and this year I've got them talked into AI'ing 80 of the cows that calved first to one of Leachman's feed efficient Stabilizer bulls. Slowly but surely we'll eventually have a more feed efficient herd.
I've also been pondering the idea of buying replacement heifers every year instead of raising our own. We usually keep 10 per year and feed them in a feedlot setting from weaning till their AI'd and turned out with the cleanup bull. I'm thinking it might be more cost effective to sell them in the fall with the rest of the calves and then either purchase ready to breed or already bred heifers the following spring. It will save on feed and be a quicker way to introduce more feed efficient genetics.
But keeping replacements by the Leachman Stabilzer bull and out of our most feed efficient cows would be a smart move too..
Just thinking out loud! lol

It could be the feed program, it could be minerals (or lack of), or it could be overstocking. More feed isn't the cure all.
I guess that's what im trying to say. Not trying to step on anyone's toes
You would be wise to use heterosis to your advantage.

We sold the calves last July on the video auction at 650 lbs.. come October they weaned at 550 lbs and they couldn't figure out why!!
I've brought up the idea of early weaning or culling but "That's not the way we've always done it." :deadhorse:
Personally I'd rather feed a smaller herd adequately than a bigger herd not enough. It just isn't right and it doesn't sit well with me. I told him we might end up buying hay if we need to but he doesn't want to do that either..
Then we have close to 800 bales of crappy CRP hay (getting that tested too) that we poured protein into to get them to eat it. Each bale got 5 gallons and the cows cleaned it up but weren't happy about it. We only poured 30 bales as a test run, but I told him that we should save that for this fall and feed the good grass/alfalfa now because they need it now. Our oldest calves were born in mid Feb so they're milking heavily.
If he keeps fighting me on this and we wean light calves again this fall I'm going to have a hard time not face palming him in the forehead! lol

Yes I agree we're overstocked.. we have 235 head but he feels its a good number.. UGH! I'm going to focus my energy now on convincing him to agree to culling some.

mom,
I can't find it at the moment, but UofMN has a nice excel spreadsheet program that you can use to figure best-cost rations for overwintering beef cows - my farm manager/wife uses it - allows you to input cow size, body condition score, stage of production/lactation, etc. in figuring up how much of each component needs to be fed to support adequate performance with a target cow BCS at the end of the feeding period.

She came across this deal about halfway through this past winter - turns out we were feeding about half as much hay and twice as much distiller's grain as our cows needed. With current prices, increasing hay fed and decreasing the DGP, we could potentially save several thousand $$ in feed costs over the course of a winter.

Here's the UofMN beef page - http://www.extension.umn.edu/beef/compo ... rition.htm
Looks like the calculator is not currently available for download directly from the site(as far as I can ascertain), but you may only have to contact the appropriate folks for them to send it to you.

Latest posts