Question about cows vs. acres

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
I have question about cows and how many acres you need too raise a cow.

The research that I have done says 1 cow needs to have anyware from 1 acre to 3 acres or even more depending on pasture/rain fall/wear at in the country.
What I dont understand , do they mean to raise a cow only on pasture and winter hay?

Are 4h family wants to start a small heard Like five cows and have calves. we have aprox 3 acres under wire. is it possible to raise five cow/calf without tearing up all the pasture? we live in northern ohio, and raise a few acres of hay. we raise enough hay to feed year around if we needed too. We own 2 heifers now going thru are first winter. and will have them ai'd in may for spring calves next year. These cows are more show type cattle. so tell what you think?

This topic has been discussed before. My personal opinion as another land-limited person is to forget making your own hay, buy your winter hay and fence the perimeter and intensively rotationally graze every square foot you have. Figure out how much area it takes for them to eat the grass from about 10" down to 4" tall in three days then move them and do it again.

I don't know exactly how many cows you can carry doing it this way but it will be more than about any other method. Good luck.

Jim

It's a personal choice. I just always felt like I could buy better hay than I could grow. Buy from reputable dealers that you know and know there reputation for doing things right. Makes that little bit of extra cost not a cost at all. Some folks just enjoy hay season. That's fine too but I'm not one of them.

E in PA":pc2s38x7 said:
If you put 5 cow/calf units on 3 acres you'll likely be feeding hay all year round.
Not to mention they will be in a 3 acre mud/dirt lot in short order. Totally unreasonable idea in my opinion.

Thats the answers I am looking for. Hate pastures that are mud!

2 more questions. that go along with the first!

1. How many pair if any could be raised on 3 acres?

2. How many acres minimum would it take to raise 5 pairs?

Thats why ask questions! Because someone has done or tried what I want to do and been thru the pains. !! Thanks for your opinions, comments and answers! Please feel free to answer diagree/agree!

Penn State Ag professor(he has his own angus heard as well) says for central PA you can raise one cow/calf unit on 1.25 acres of pasture. but it all depends on your soil quality/pasture quality. by those numbers you "could" do 2 pair on your 3 acres, and 5 pair on 7 or 8 acres. that being said i would have at least 10 acres for your 5 pair. but i would rather have to mow than have it overgrazed.

BryanM61":136d4878 said:
I have question about cows and how many acres you need too raise a cow.

The research that I have done says 1 cow needs to have anyware from 1 acre to 3 acres or even more depending on pasture/rain fall/wear at in the country.
What I dont understand , do they mean to raise a cow only on pasture and winter hay?

Are 4h family wants to start a small heard Like five cows and have calves. we have aprox 3 acres under wire. is it possible to raise five cow/calf without tearing up all the pasture? we live in northern ohio, and raise a few acres of hay. we raise enough hay to feed year around if we needed too. We own 2 heifers now going thru are first winter. and will have them ai'd in may for spring calves next year. These cows are more show type cattle. so tell what you think?

How many acres per cow is going to vary widely from area to area depending on the soil type, climate, rainfall, irrigation or lack thereof, etc. I would suggest you check with your local extension office, as they can tell you what the norm is in your area. I don't know it for a fact, but I seriously doubt that 3 acres is enough to raise 5 cows and their calves without requiring a lot of supplementation with hay. They will have that pasture eaten down to nothing in no time, and it won't come back for a very long time.

E in PA":1hxv5m1n said:
Penn State Ag professor(he has his own angus heard as well) says for central PA you can raise one cow/calf unit on 1.25 acres of pasture. but it all depends on your soil quality/pasture quality. by those numbers you "could" do 2 pair on your 3 acres, and 5 pair on 7 or 8 acres. that being said i would have at least 10 acres for your 5 pair. but i would rather have to mow than have it overgrazed.
:nod: I agree :nod:

Latest posts